Author Topic: Diving in - ERC staves  (Read 3088 times)

Offline SDC

Diving in - ERC staves
« on: June 12, 2017, 02:28:02 pm »
Never built a selfbow (well, a real one - a baby sassafras about 30 years ago doesn't count).

But, I could not resist an Eastern Red Cedar that needed to come down that was straight, not-twisted, and essentially limbless for the first 6+ feet.

So, here it is.  Staves measure 78".  Debarked now, and ends sealed about 6-8" up with Killz primer.

Open to thoughts, suggestions, experiences, etc.

Offline sleek

Re: Diving in - ERC staves
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 02:49:49 pm »
Congratulations on a nice haul. Strip the bark to save it from the bugs that will come. Let it sit for a year. Keep the bows long, wide, and low poundage 40 ish unless you nack it with bamboo sinew or hickory.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 03:06:46 pm »
You have picked one of the more challenging wood species for your first bow.  Do you have access to other types of trees?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline SDC

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 03:34:17 pm »
You have picked one of the more challenging wood species for your first bow.  Do you have access to other types of trees?

Yeah, I've read that ERC is "finicky".  I have access to whatever grows in Virginia; hickories, dogwood, sassafras, ashes, etc.  Suggestions?

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 04:44:26 pm »
All those optioms are good ones. Im 3 hours from virginia, and would trade some Osage with you for that cedar....
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline SDC

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 10:12:48 am »
All those optioms are good ones. Im 3 hours from virginia, and would trade some Osage with you for that cedar....

Sleek, that's a very generous offer!  I may take you up on it down the road a bit.  I've got a bunch of irons in the fire right now, so these will season for a while and I'll figure things out as I get closer to a build time.  Heck, I may even be able to lay my hands on some more cedar similar to this (now that I know what to look for ;) ).

Feel free to PM me with where you're at, as VA is a big ol' state and you might be a good bit further from me than 3 hours.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 10:40:13 am »
Nice ERC staves. With as much sap wood as these have consider an all sapwood bow. You'll probably get some of the heartwood in the handle. I've seen and shot an all sapwood ERC bow and it shot very well and held up after many shots. The one I shot was an ELB style but I think a flat bow would work well too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 11:26:28 am »
That heartwood sure is pretty though. I like to cut thin strips off scrap stuff to use for handles an such. I sure hope you can get a bow out of them but I've heard of many violent breaks with ERC, even seen pictures off it stuck in people's ceilings.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

gutpile

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 02:04:03 pm »
rare find... clean ERC staves,, Ive built a few and sinew backed they are Bada$$ bows... must be tilled perfectly to get a heavy poundage bow..over 55... very soft wood I tilled mine mostly with sandpaper after floor tilled.....great on compression but tension isn't the best will blow violently when pushed with out proper till... light as a feather too... I love it...but it is a challenge... I suggest you build a few before tackling ERC , ... definitely back it... sinew and erc goes together like peas and carrots.. made for each other... nice find and good luck..gut

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 04:50:53 pm »
It's hard to tell if you have enough heartwood for this, but if you want to try making a selfbow, I'd try to leave a thin layer of sapwood for your back (1/8 to 1/4").  It's possible to follow a ring, but not easy.  You'll need a gentle touch and good lighting.  It is similar to Yew in that the sapwood is better in tension and the heartwood is better in compression.

I've made a few that held together, but I've also had some explosions.  ERC can make for a gorgeous, snappy, light in the hand bow.  Good luck!

BTW, I'm in VA, too.  PM me if you want to do some trading.

Offline Mike Yancey

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 05:13:17 pm »
Shape it now while its green, seal the back and ends and clamp to a form for two weeks. Heat it a couple of times during that two weeks, then sinew back it. The bow will be ready to finish in 6 months or less.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 08:24:19 pm »
Shape it now while its green, seal the back and ends and clamp to a form for two weeks. Heat it a couple of times during that two weeks, then sinew back it. The bow will be ready to finish in 6 months or less.

Now thats an idea I didn't think of Mike.  I may try that myself next time.  Ive broken 2 ERC bows while trying to make them self bows.  Actually shot the second on about a dozen times.  Sinew is going in the next one for sure. 
GGood to see you on here by the way Mike! Welcome.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

gutpile

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 09:09:36 am »
I am not sure why you say you need heartwood for bow..mine is all sapwood with a lil heartwood only in handle and its a screamer at 48@27 - 61" tip to tip... you do not need heartwood in limbs unless purely aesthetic ...which is pleasing to eye agreed but not required for performance...gut