Author Topic: Afternoon of hoggin  (Read 3000 times)

Stringman

Afternoon of hoggin
« on: July 04, 2017, 09:36:54 am »
In my area when the cottons flyin, the flatheads are layin. Of course that just gives you an indication of the season at which times a knowing country boy is headed for the creek. No need for expensive tackle, a nice long stringer or paracord will do the trick. No need for bait either. Those cute little hand sausages work just fine!

I've been waitin for the right time to go, and it doesn't happen every year. We often get local floods at the "right time" and creeks are un swimmable for weeks. Not that the fish mind. They get their business done and move on leaving us with empty freezers for another year. This year everything worked out and we found ourselves with a whole afternoon to go for a swim.

At the jumpin in point (location undisclosed) there is a ledge of rock about 4' down and running for 50' or so. We often find something laying up under there and well back in. A skinny stick is first procured and the depths are well plumbed before deciding to move on. As we slow drift down stream (crawling so as not to ding the shins too much) we feel with hands and feet for any likely hidey holes. Moving from 1 rock to the next I finally feel the slimey texture of a fish under a nice slab of rock. I bring the boys (nephews) over to get the feel of a fish and then work him out and on the stringer he goes. Just a sweet little 8 pounder.

A bit later we were huddled around a rock and I had felt something give under my stick. I reach a little too close and BAAAAMMM!! He nailed me! I jerked back with wide eyes and nearly fell over laughin at my violent reaction! They have a way of scaring the bojangles out of ya. Not wanting to keep the fun all to myself I asked who wanted to go in after him? Sammy said, "I'll go!" So he cuddles up to that rock and started feeling around. Now I'm giving him instruction on what to feel for and getting ready for some good ol entertainment when he hollers "got im!" and ups with the tail end of a 15# snapper! (Yep that's right, my mit got chewed on by a dinosaur.) Little turd was grinnin ear to ear! The boy that is, the turtle was none to fond of bein jerked from his place at the snack bar.

Fifteen minutes later and I advised Ben, "don't miss that big rock over there. Might be a hole under it." and headed on down cause I figured there wasn't a hole under it. A minute later I hear Ben say, "got one." shoulda checked it myself..  ::) So we all belly up to the rock, blocking possible exits and start feelin for fish. Ended up pullin two out of that hole and nice ones at that!

Flatheads prepared right are the best fish I've ever et. And we caught em while swimming in the creek!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Afternoon of hoggin
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 09:44:27 am »
Scott, are you guys noodling those cats?  Nice catch and good eating.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 09:45:52 am »
COOL!
Something not tried.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 09:50:44 am »
Sweet!!! Now that's fishing.  )P( )P( )P(
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Stringman

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 09:55:58 am »
Yessir, Pat

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 10:29:06 am »
Great story Scott,but I'm sure things go faster then what we read.....lol.Nice good eating haul.I'm jealous!!!!
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PNewton

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 11:08:52 am »
What a haul. Nice way to fill the freezer.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 11:19:05 am »
Real nice!  Saves wear and tear on your tackle - a bit tough on the fingers sometimes, though >:D.
A hefty arm load of cats.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 12:49:41 pm »
I've always wanted to try that.  Looks like a fish fry in the bow barn soon. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 10:38:42 pm »
Nice flatheads. Good eating.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 03:09:17 am »
Great story, nicely told :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 03:14:47 am »
Nice job, looks like yall had a blast.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 03:49:40 am »
Nice Fishes ! Have never eaten Flat Heads, hear they are good, fried a lot of Channel Cats tho  -C-.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 05:39:47 am »
Good times indeed! I agree, flathead is some of the best fish out there.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.