Author Topic: What's different about tillering recurves?  (Read 783 times)

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
What's different about tillering recurves?
« on: August 26, 2017, 05:06:19 pm »
Hey guys,

A recurve is on my list of bows I want to build and a few of my friends want to see me make one. I have steam bent recurves on a stave that ended way too light about a year ago but I set that stave off to the side because I didn't think I was ready to make a recurve but I'm wondering what is different about tillering a recurve than a straight limbed bow? What is the difficulty of making a recurve other than bending the recurves in? Is it just that recurves aren't as forgiving as straight-limbed bows because they're a more strained design? Your replies are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Aaron

Offline gfugal

Re: What's different about tillering recurves?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 05:28:48 pm »
Yeah recurves strain the design unless you adjust the length to accommodate it. Also, they will amplify any string alignment issues.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 06:01:16 pm »
Regular recurves and statics no differance, i tiller to 20" then recurve the tips. That takes care of most of the alighnment issues
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 07:10:37 pm »
Your analaysis of not as forgiving as a straight limbed bow is correct.Things like alignment and strain are more amplified because of the early draw weight and energy storage.Because of that many in the first try are tillered under weight.Making one can give you an idea if you want to do it again.Most do.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 07:46:34 pm »
Like Ed said, getting from long string to braced is a little different. There's more early draw weight so bow feels heavier than it really is. They are also a little fussier for string alignment. I'm not the greatest bowyer in the world, but I tiller them about the same. They just feel different when you draw them.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise