Author Topic: Teapot coaster and make do Hazel carving mallet.  (Read 2320 times)

Ruddy Darter

Teapot coaster and make do Hazel carving mallet.
« on: October 06, 2017, 02:33:07 pm »
A little something I made for myself, I had a slice of Holly off a previous project, a medieval York rose, and set it in a piece of pine to make a coaster for my teapot... I really like matcha tea and have a little ceremony everyday  :)
I also made a make do carving mallet out of a 3yr old piece of Hazel to use with my gouges, I made some grooves and reinforced with linen thread binding and superglue. Not sure how Hazel will hold up as a carving mallet but it feels pretty tough and good in the hand and won't be used for heavy wood removal. Just got to think of a carving project now.
Nothing much really, but I thought I'd engage the forum a bit more and get creating.

R.D.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 02:52:00 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline Zuma

Re: Teapot coaster and make do Hazel carving mallet.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 02:53:37 pm »
Funny, I was just asking on another thread if you were busy. Here is my answer.
Nice little projects. Now it's off to make 2 meter Classical Chinese Dragon!   >:D )W( )W(
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 03:03:27 pm »
Now there's an idea Zuma  :D,
 I did have in mind another bow rest, maybe I'll be able trade it too when finished,... with a Holly heraldic lion set in oak with fleur-de-lis . Just thinking it through  :)

R.D.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 04:03:58 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 06:09:46 pm »
RD,
Nice stuff!  Watch your fingers with that mallet >:D!  So far, I have stayed with hand held carving tools.  Did learn about carving gloves the hard way )P(
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 06:23:28 pm »
Thanks Hawkdancer,
 and will be careful with that. It won't be for heavy removal but I'm going to be carving hard oak and will help speed up the operation and lessen the effort, just gentle taps with the first 3"or 4" of the mallet head, the rest of the length is just for added weight, general shaping I still just use hands and push it through. Pondering a few ideas at present but keen to test out the Hazel mallet.

R.D.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 06:31:36 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 07:14:05 pm »
Nice work like it a lot!,,,,would like to hear more about the tea stuff? ,,,coffee drinker here ,,thanks jeffw

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 02:46:46 am »
Thanks jeffhalfrack, Japanese matcha tea is great stuff, full of antioxidants and a long list of health properties, good for alergies aswell as a mood enhancer (L-theanine works in synergy with the caffeine for a relaxed lasting energy). One cup of matcha (1scoop/1tsp) has the equivalent goodness of 10cups of green tea because the whole leaf is consumed. Quality Japanese matcha is quite pricey but it does go a fair way, and cheap stuff doesn't generally taste good and doesn't have the same sort of quality control( I always get matcha that's made in Japan, (I sourced a good value supply from an organic health food supplier local to me)).
Theres a lot of YouTube videos on its preparation, history and health benefits and it's a very popular supplement for gym-goers. I like to prepare and drink mine as authentic to the Japanese way as I can.
I do love proper italian coffee too, and have a proper strong brew most days. Speaking of which, I reckon I'll put my moka stove pot on now. :D

R.D.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 05:32:48 am by Ruddy Darter »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 05:56:07 am »
Very nice Ruddy. I could go for a spot of tea right now. Thanks for the tea lessons. I always really like the tea at our local Chinese Restaurant. They sell tea bags there and I've bought some before but it's just not the same.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 11:22:16 am »
We have been known to enjoy good tea!  Got some green that a client brought back from China, hoarding that, but it is aging somewhat.  Not sure that posting the brand is proper, but would you pm it to me, please, or at least the suppliers that might carry it.  Share the goodness -C-!  Thanks,
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 12:05:25 pm »
Sorry Hawkdancer, my supplier has a deal going with a Japanese farmer so no brand name and they don't ship outside the E.U. Maybe ask at local health food shops for advice or online for good deals (Amazon) also gym supplement stores sometimes to good deals,  I'm not sure what brands are available U.S., there are quite a few, but I'd say always go for a Japanese grown ceremonial or premium grade matcha (there are other grades for mixing with steamed milk for matcha latte and cooking etc)  prices vary, and you tend to get what you pay for...and check out consumer ratings online (and YouTube is great)  for value and quality of brands available to you, and advice on preparation and what good matcha should be.
I wish I could be more helpful,

R.D.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 12:44:25 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 10:24:41 pm »
Will be doing some reasearch,  I guess there are quite a few premium products available that we don't/can't get here in the states, might work both ways!  Thanks for the information.
Hawkdancer
Jerry