Author Topic: Shooting an artifact  (Read 1938 times)

Offline sleek

Shooting an artifact
« on: November 26, 2017, 02:16:46 pm »
Has anyone ever hafted an artifact point and gone hunting with it? I think it would of course have to be an arrow that flies like a dart, and the most care taken while target shooting it. The hunting shot would need to be a gimme as well. But just for the experience, I am considering it. Id like to make ONE very special arrow, to go with one bow for one very specific and special once in a lifetime hunt. 
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline JEB

Re: Shooting an artifact
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 02:49:38 pm »
When we visit Texas in the winter months there is a place that sells broken points that come out of Missouri.  I pick thru the box and buy the ones I think I can rework for 50 cents  each.  The points I find are in frames on the wall.  Finding points made me want to learn how to knap them.

I don't see a problem doing what you suggest except would a found point be sharp enough or would you have to re-work the edge?

If you decide to use an artifact let us know how it goes.

Offline RickB

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 03:32:54 pm »
Have at it as long as it's small and sharp. I've hafted artifacts for friends so they could be displayed with their collection.

Now I'm joking - I've been looking for a Clovis point for a long time so I can make a spear.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 12:46:52 pm »
Sleek I would you ask that question over at Arrowheadology.
I can't see taking the chance destroying a perfectly good artifact myself.
I would be glad to trade you for a ready to go newly knapped one.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 10:58:41 pm »
Got to agree with Zuma-the ancient artifacts have already done their job, and deserve to retire to the wall!  Knapping a duplicate and go for it in the field?.  On the other hand, I have a bit of training in Archeaolgy and am reluctant to stress artifacts.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 06:30:55 am »
Maybe they could like more a burst of glory while trying to bite their last deer than a long life on a wall  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Zuma

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 06:34:51 pm »
Maybe they could like more a burst of glory while trying to bite their last deer than a long life on a wall  ;D ;D ;D

I am kinda a  more spiritual guy in this department. So maybe holding the artifact in mention
in your hands, clear your thoughts and let the spirits guide you.
There is no doubt in my mind they will tell you exactly what to do Sleek
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.