Author Topic: Handle wrap/ paint ?  (Read 1338 times)

Offline Thunderlizard

Handle wrap/ paint ?
« on: January 07, 2018, 06:22:38 pm »
Hi again,

I posted a little while ago about overshooting my sanding for putting buffalo horn overlays on my bow and I remedied that problem with a few layers of sinew wrap. The bow is pretty well tillered and shooting fine. I’ve decided that I want to put a simple leather grip over the handle. So... a few questions:
I was reading through the TBB1, and am unclear about some of Mr. Strunk’s instructions. Can I glue the leather onto the wood and then lace it together to give it a finished look, or is the glue unnecessary?
(I don’t want cork or any padding under the leather)
Any suggestions on lacing?

I would also like to finish the bow with a few wraps of sinew around the edges of the rawhide, and a paint job. Looking for black and brown paint. Any suggestions for something waterproof for the Olympic peninsula? I’m going to finish the bow with tung oil..

Thanks!

- Pat

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Handle wrap/ paint ?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 06:58:48 pm »
Acrylic craft paint from WalMart for paint and hemp wrap for the handle, also from WalMart.  A sinew wrap for the ends of the rawhide(if necessary) or strong, thin thread like silk.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 07:22:18 pm »
I wouldn't glue the leather just lace it tight, that way any adjustments or changes can be made easily.  The craft paint Pat mentioned would work great but I would put some type of clear finish sealer over it maybe wax, shellac or something.
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 09:34:41 am »
John, he could use any of the regular finishes over the craft paint. I prefer Tru-Oil but any would work. The problem I have with a wax finish is for it to be effective you have to heat the wood first so the wax penetrates then wipe off the excess. The heat would adversely affect the sinew wraps, etc.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DesertDisciple

• Arise, for it is your task, and we are with you
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 01:57:27 pm »
I used hide glue mixed with earth pigment and it came out well, finished with tru-oil.
Best Regards,

Andrew

Offline ohma2

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 07:05:50 pm »
Pat B x 2