Author Topic: Any thoughts?  (Read 3044 times)

Offline willie

Re: Any thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2018, 02:40:31 pm »
I think that these old paintings are a vague source of info for us. They were painted by painters, not bowyers
I think you have a good point Don. There is some careful attention to detail in the painting, but the kings robe seems to have the most attention from the artist.

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2018, 04:25:07 pm »
Why a bolt gun and not a cross bow? What's the diff?

Offline Traxx

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2018, 04:49:39 pm »
I think that these old paintings are a vague source of info for us. They were painted by painters, not bowyers, so what you get is a painters impression of what was happening.

Exactly...

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2018, 07:02:15 am »
There's also some stereotyping; the guy with the hornbow, check his colour and clothing, then his expression and facial hair - Eastern folk were always depicted as the bad guy. Thing is, if it is a hornbow, it has very short hooks, no? That's what I find puzzling, the artist seems to have painted an Eastern character shooting with a thumb ring and probably a horn bow (though I do like the suggestion of an Italian recurve) but the style is not one I recognise, certainly not an Ottoman bow

Offline PatM

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2018, 07:19:07 am »
Why a bolt gun and not a cross bow? What's the diff?

People don't like to consider a crossbow a bow so they derogatorily refer to them as guns even though they are clearly not.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2018, 08:24:59 am »
Looks like he painted a shadow-line where the sinew might have rolled around the  side and onto the belly? If he painted that much detail then the bow profile may be accurate