Author Topic: Quickly curing a sinew back?  (Read 2549 times)

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
Quickly curing a sinew back?
« on: April 12, 2008, 03:09:14 am »
I've just sinew-backed a birch/pine static recurve. It's just one layer, to prevent it from blowing up.

I'm wondering if I could speed up the drying by leaving it on the radiator/in a heat box? Or is it better performance-vice to give it a longer drying period?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Quickly curing a sinew back?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 03:12:02 am »
I wouldn't do it.  I left one outside to cure in hot dry climate a and I wasn't happy.  Remember patience is your best friend in bow building. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Quickly curing a sinew back?
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 03:21:39 am »
Med temps,low humidity and air movement will give you the best results. If you have a hot box with a fan or leave it on the radiator you should get good results.   On the sinew backed bows I've made I used 3 layers of sinew but gave each layer a month on top of the hot water heater before adding the next.
   The ancients would give a sinewed bow(composites) up to ten years or more to cure properly. It can be done quicker.  I'm sure you will hear how from others.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC