Author Topic: Hide and snake skin backed bows  (Read 5643 times)

Floorman

Hide and snake skin backed bows
« on: February 10, 2009, 02:39:07 pm »
Thinking of backing my next bow with rawhide or snake skin. everything I've read tells how to apply and prepare either for the job ,but my question is after it's glued on to the bow. is there any tricks to applying the finish? Special finish, prep,applicator?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Hide and snake skin backed bows
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 04:10:10 pm »
The only thing I can think of is you'll want to remove the scales from the snakeskin before you apply the finish.

There are literally hundreds of finishes and just as many ways to apply them.  If you want to be primitive, use only natural materials (for example, beeswax, pine pitch, pine pitch mixed with fat, bear grease, cactus juice, shellac, deer fat, hide glue sprinkled with crushed mica crystals, natural stains, etc, etc.).

Build up thin layers and work in a warm place if possible.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 05:47:46 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Floorman

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 05:02:09 pm »
I'll be using hide glue ,and probably polyurathane finish as I like to hunt in as wet of conditions as posible .That was the reason for the the original question as I've heard stories about hunting in the rain and their backing coming off their bows.Thanks for your help.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 05:46:59 pm »
If you're going to hunt in the rain then spray poly is a good idea for a finish, at least three coats, then put a coat of car wax over that.   I'm sure others will give you better input that I can.

I don't like rain and sometimes I don't even put a finish on my bows. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 06:44:03 pm »
floorman, I have a hickory backed osage bow made by Marc st louis, I added snake skins to the backing for better camo... during a late season turkey hunt i crawled for about two hours through deep powder snow to get the shot on a turkey. the bow and myself were soaked from the snow and wet cold, but the finish protected her completely allowing for a kill shot.. you should pm marc and ask what finish he used on her.. works like a charm so far in the wet and cold. hope this helps.... Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston