Author Topic: Pyramid bow  (Read 6559 times)

Offline Selfbowman

Re: Pyramid bow
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2018, 08:53:08 pm »
This bow has no shock !! So if vibration is happening the mass in the handle and midlimbs must be absorbing the vibration. I spent some hours on the heat bench getting that grain about as straight as one person can. It was very straight to begin with. No knots , flat back, split out of a tree I was told yielded like 50 staves. It's just not dense . That's what I think. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2018, 09:46:14 pm »
Hey now, that's a beauty of a bend for sure!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Badger

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2018, 10:25:07 pm »
  Arvin, they call it vibration but it is really more like distortion. The limb tips carry some momentum that the arrow is trying to control. The limb will take every opportunity it can to take the easiest route, If the limbs can distort easier than slow down they will distort. This is one of the reasons parallel limbs tend to be a tad faster on r/d designs. they are stiffer in the outer limbs and offer less opportunity to distort. Glass bows have exactly the same challenge here.

Offline Jan de Bogenman

• Zelf Bogen Maken
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2018, 05:00:50 am »
Very interesting and a very nice bow!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2018, 06:30:52 am »
Very nice bow Arvin, don't know much about speed but that looks like a shooter to me. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2018, 10:29:52 am »
Well I shot it about ten times this morning. Clear 50degrees , 5-8 tale wind. 5 arrows one at 200,2at 205-207 , one 450gr 218 one I have not found yet. The 218 yd made some Hugh circles off the bow  before straightening out. It also had a broken broadhead. D97 8 strand string. Maybe it is just not broke in yet. Arvin

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2018, 01:02:21 pm »
Even the best design, executed close to flawlessly, but with sub-par wood can lead to a less than amazing cast.  So if you are working with wood that was low density for the species, I can see how maybe this one is underwhelming. 

But I cannot fault you on the tiller and the graceful look of this bow!  She's pertier than a potbellied puppy in sweetclover!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2018, 03:33:43 am »
Morgan I don't do pics well . But here is bow fishing design plenty of handle for reel attachment . Arvin
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 03:37:48 am by Selfbowman »

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2018, 10:30:11 pm »
Good looking bow Arvin, like the full draw profile.

Question for Arvin and Steve. You both made comments about your experiences with Ks/Mo Osage, and Arvin thinks this stave came out of a tree that produced about 50 staves.

Do you think an Osage tree that has a diameter of 8” to 12” would be denser than a large diameter tree that would produce more staves?

I am a rookie and have a lot to learn for sure. I’ve only made 11 or 12 Osage flat bows,all out of Ks Osage, 8” to 12” diameter trees, that would yield 3 to 5 staves depending on how they split. These bows have mostly been in the 66”ntn, with 4” handle, 3” to fades, about 1 1/2” wide at flares straight tapered to 1/2” tips, approx 50#@28” back of handle to nock throat.

I have run several through a chrono with 9gpp arrows and they seem to average around 170fps +/- 3 or 4fps. I’m wanting to find some premium staves, but you have me wondering I’m cutting the best wood I could be?

Offline Morgan

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2018, 12:12:47 pm »
Morgan I don't do pics well . But here is bow fishing design plenty of handle for reel attachment . Arvin
Arvin, That looks real good. Thank you.

Offline rps3

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2018, 12:37:10 pm »
Great looking bow. Do you think, at those specs, your bow might shine even more drawn another inch or 2? Send it to me and I'll do it for ya ;D

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2018, 01:41:25 pm »
Bentstick I have had good Osage from Kansas. And I think the Mo. wood is also good you just have to change the recipe on width a bit. 170 fps is real good speed from any wood in my oppinion. I've shot some glass bows that was not that fast. Can we get more out of them yes. But the bowyer has to be on his game that day with a fine stave. The staves are not all created equal. Does not meen flawless of knots and such but dense helps for me. Some of my best Osage came from just east of Austin and the staves came from 12" or less diameter trees. If you got some set on your bow that's where they start to slow down . At least that is what I have found to be true with my ability at this time. As a few on here have said before set happens . The less we have the better the bow. Arvin

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2018, 05:33:49 pm »
Thanks Arvin, I bet all my bows have taken 1” to 1 1/2” of set. Have not made any since I keyed in on Badgers mass principle.  That I’ll be my next attempt. I still wonder if smaller diameter trees would tend to lean towards denser wood on average than larger diameter trees, or if it’s just luck of the draw?

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2018, 08:48:45 pm »
Don't know that . Maybe someone can address the densedy ?. There was a time when I thought tighter rings  made for more dense wood. But if the early and late rings are about the same size it's not so dense. Big thick rings don't seem as dense  to me. Small early rings and thicker late rings seem to be the better wood. Course next week we will start a bow from a different stave and it will change our mind. Reading the stave separates the men from the boys. Or the lucky from the not so lucky.
Arvin

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2018, 11:15:05 pm »
Beautiful bow with a sweet tiller. Thanks for posting the stats. Those are great numbers for most bows, but I agree with others on here. With the shape and tiller I would bet it was faster than you say.