Author Topic: Ash ELB/ Preparing Ash staves  (Read 5124 times)

Offline Bootthrower

Re: Ash ELB/ Preparing Ash staves
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2018, 01:50:01 pm »
Okey, I've now cut down the tree and I got two 2m logs from it and a shorter 1m log (arrow shafts possibly).
I didn't have enough sunlight left to split them into staves, but I applied a layer of paint on the ends to hopefully prevent cracks.
Tommorrow I will split them into staves and rough them out into something close to a bow. I will also go on the lookout for a proper scale  ;)

How do these rings look? (Pics should be attached)
I noticed small cracks had already formed on one log when I applied the paint, is this a problem?
The areas with the tighter rings make for a better quality bow? or have I gotten that wrong?

Could someone give me measurements for the 'rough stave' (or 'drying shape') if I'm aiming for a 90# bow?

Forgive my many questions, but this is the first time I do something like this and I want to avoid making too many mistakes.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 02:36:53 pm by Bootthrower »

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2018, 03:00:04 pm »
I actually have very good luck getting wood to dry straight by clamping it.  It is VITAL for me to secure staves or roughed out blanks from small diameter saplings, or they aren't worth the work and risk later.  I do, however, essentially floor tiller, then clamp again and do my heat treatment so they stay.

Offline Bootthrower

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2018, 03:45:33 pm »
Interesting.. Do you think the same applies for larger diameter trees, or would it work to not clamp? (I honestly don't even have clamps)

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2018, 04:27:48 pm »
Staves split from larger diameter trees seem not to do it as much.  For one thing you can leave them more massive and dry them more slowly, and their own bulk resists some of the warpage.  Obviously, they can twist and warp, but you ususally find out as soon as you split it if they are going to.  It just seems saplings and branches WANT to go off in every direction.

I think it's because they are young and growing fairly dense wood very quickly, branching out, etc, so each year the tree is doing something different as it grows that year's ring.  Like this year it grows a long branch at the top on one side, reaching for sunlight.  But, last year this other tree had a large drooping branch leaning on it, and next year that tree will be dead and open up sunlight on that side, so the weight will shift, etc... reaction wood all over the place.

Offline Bootthrower

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2018, 04:31:22 pm »
Makes sense. Tanks a lot for the tips!

Offline Bootthrower

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2018, 09:34:39 am »
I've now split the logs! It worked great and they are now layered in a shed with good airflow!
I found a good scale too!
Now I'm on the lookout for a drawknife to trim the staves into shape..

Offline Strichev

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2018, 03:16:41 pm »
Get a high quality draw knife, it's a long-term investment and it pays off both in terms of the joy using it and the quality of the end product.

Offline Bootthrower

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2018, 05:38:33 pm »
Then I'll make sure to get a good one!