Author Topic: Best Design for Guava?  (Read 1023 times)

Offline Ryan Jacob

Best Design for Guava?
« on: April 19, 2018, 10:07:20 am »
So, I can harvest a sapling of guava soon. I’ve seen Mannys work but despite being all purdy, I’ve heard of some pretty bad compression problems with it. It doesn’t get all that wide too. Any ideas for a design? I’m thinking holmegaard would be nice due to fitting the sapling natural taper. Sorry no pics for a while.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Best Design for Guava?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 03:57:31 pm »
I made a typical flat bow out of guava. I think it was similar to my osage bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 04:06:42 pm »
  I need to go back and read Manny's posts.  I had the impression that guava was very strong stuff, and don't remember reading about it being weak in compression.

But, that's what I remember is Manny making stout flatbows from it.  You can easily get a 2" wide limb from a sapling less than 4" dia.  How big does it get?

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 07:42:01 pm »
PatB
Well I’ve used guava twice before and it gave me a 40 pound bow from a stave that was only 1.5 inches wide. So yeah, I could see it being similar to osage
Springbuck
I think I worded that wrong, it’s the hickory situation where both tension and compression are goog but the back overpowers the belly. That’s strange though, I thought Manny was an advocate for the deep rounded design for guava, I remember him saying that a flat design is a waste, unless he meant aesthetic wise. Guava grows a bit snaky even in shade, I have however, never seen one with twist. The average size is 4-5 inches per sapling and it does take coppicing well. But then again, my neighbor has a monster 8 incher
Edit:
The color change is on the wood itself not the bark, needs to be fresh still however, about 2 days at most after harvest
Also, If you harvest a stave when the sap is running,   The back turns a deep purple that eventually turns into a brownish purple. There are also really tiny thorn under the bark. My favorite thing to do with this is to let the back change color and season an then sand it a little bit, the thorns are removed (the wood can take it), and you end up with a starry night pattern
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 11:29:03 pm by Ryan Jacob »

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 10:03:27 pm »
Thanks.  I may be remembering wrong, anyway, but everything I learned about guava came from Manny, and now you. 

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 02:29:06 am »
Also, what ever did happen to Manny ???, the bits and pieces I’ve heard lead me to believe he had surfing accident that caused shoulder injury, apparently he can be found on an airgun forum or something like that...