Author Topic: Titebond 3 curing time  (Read 3262 times)

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
Titebond 3 curing time
« on: February 07, 2019, 01:46:08 pm »
I usually wait 24 hours for the glue to dry when I use Titebond to back a longbow. I have never had a problem . Yesterday I used it on a R/D bamboo backed ipe is 24 hours enough or should I go longer?
In the past I have only used Unibond for R/D bows.
Thanks!
Reading
The Traditional Boyers Bible Vol 1
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Titebond 3 curing time
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 01:47:41 pm »
Id give it another 24 hours with the ipe. More is always better than less in terms of wait times for glue drying.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 06:08:47 am »
In my experience the PVA glues will get harder for about three or four days.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 08:16:10 am »
Ipe is the only wood that I know of where tightbond I is recommended. I imagine 24 hours at least. I am not recommending what I have done many times but on hot summer days I take them out of the clamps after about 5 hours and take them to floor tiller. Damp weather 2 days minimum. I try to let them dry at least at room temperature. I normally glue them up 1 day and finish them the next unless it is damp weather. This is assuming perfect glue lines. It makes a big difference. You figure a glue line is less than .001 thick, if the wood is dry it will dry quickly.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 08:25:02 am »
Do Titebond type glues only "cure" by drying or is there some other molecular stuff going on?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 10:29:21 am »
DC, TB glues first have to dissipate their moisture before curing. Those two things may work at the same time or one before the other but the moisture has to leave for the glue to set.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 06:24:45 pm »
Hi,
I have used Tightbond 3 for years.  Of course for me it is gluing flute halves together although I have used it to glue skins to bows as per excellent instruction from the famous instructor Pat Brennan.  With the flutes I use electrical tape instead of clamps and find I can remove the tape after a couple of hours but I let the flutes set for 24 hours before working with the flutes.  With Ipe or any oily wood whether gluing flutes or bows I highly recommend cleaning the parts to be glued with Acetone first.
Rand
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 06:42:20 am »
I would heed to pearl's advice.
If you clamped it you will probably be OK in a couple of of days.
But if you wrapped it with an inner tube it could be as long as a week. I'll never do that again.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 09:56:58 am »
I'd say it should be OK by now.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC