Author Topic: Palm Logs  (Read 2817 times)

Offline wolfsire

Palm Logs
« on: April 04, 2008, 12:31:51 am »
Well, the disease got the better of  me.  Ive been wanting to make a palm bow, especially because I constantly see the trees for free on craigslist.  Unfortuatly, they are always too big to dig up and haul off.  On the way home today, I was a pile of cut up palm logs.  I grabbed the longest one in the bunch.  It is the one standing up in the next to the pile.  I havent measured it yet, but I would estimate three feet tall, maybe a bit more, and eight inches in diameter.  I figured I could cut off some billets, but not sure the best way, or the specific best part, other than the outer portion.

How would you go about making a bow from this?

Steve in LV, NV

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
Re: Palm Logs
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 01:21:57 am »
I'm no expert, but I would make sure it is a good stong palm first, do a bend test or make a mini bow to test the flexibility of it, then go from there.
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 01:53:02 am »
I would start by cutting all that checking off the ends to see if you have any good wood left.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Rich Saffold

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 02:51:26 pm »
Most palms are to light and stringy to work as bows. What you need are Coconut and Date Palms. There are several varieties which work, and they have a much denser grass in them since it's not really a wood. The palms I have used are 6-7" in diameter and grow up to 25' tall.

In the early 90"s I wrote and article for PA " In the Palm of my Hand" about my adventure of making my first Senegal Date Palm bow. Popping off the bark is some a$$ busting work, but the bow was real fast. Took it to Mojam#3 and drew a fair amount of attention..

Rich-

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 09:32:33 pm »
Thanks all for the comments.  I'll do some testing on the outer inch or so of this wood, if I can get the bark off.  I'm gonna use a chain saw.  If the fibers look tight enough, the SG is high, and its springy enough, I'll makes some billets to get to in the long run.  But beggers cannot be choosers.  Keep your fingers crossed for me.  :-)  Maybe I'll come across some date, coconut or black palm.  I dont even know what this is.
Steve in LV, NV