Author Topic: Most modern wood is useless  (Read 4834 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Most modern wood is useless
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2019, 07:41:56 am »
That's it! I'm getting into fly rod building and selling all my staves, hell, I will give them all away to any of you suckers that aren't picking up what Tommy is throwing down. Thanks for the heads up Tommy boy.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2019, 07:45:57 am »
Pretty sure Tom had the sarcasm turned up to 11. . .

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2019, 07:55:46 am »
Just as a way of...shedding some light here. He has an earlier post asking how to back a bow with the toenail clippings he’s been saving (I’m assuming throughout his life in order to have enough..or maybe he has collected from others for his supply). Surely some trolling going on.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2019, 09:30:45 am »
Well I’d put the toenails on the belly since they are similar to horn. Come on maannn!

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2019, 09:58:17 am »
Tom breath, if this is happening we can adapt and someone will find a way to fix it or make wood denser, people before have said that traditional boyering is over, now our numbers are growing! all will be well.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline gumboman

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2019, 03:36:54 pm »
We can all relax and enjoy bow building with great wood for at least another 45 billion years. The sky is not falling and the world will not come to an end until the sun is burned out. This is projected to happen by scientists in 50 billion years.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2019, 04:01:54 pm »
well, technically the sun will go red giant well before then, at which point it will expand beyond the orbit of the earth, blowing out our atmosphere, and with it the oceans. So best-case scenario we only have 5 billion years to find a way off this rock, and realistically, our osage wood will be no good for bows several million years before that, so what will be the point of even trying any more beyond maybe 4.5 billion years from now?  Until then, let's keep making shavings.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2019, 05:17:51 pm »
LOL Tom, Pretty funny. I thought you were supposed to drop those on Apr 1, not May1?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2019, 05:30:28 pm »
my wood is still good,, :BB

Offline sleek

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2019, 06:38:23 pm »
I've noticed as I age, my wood.... well, is it ok to finish this sentence?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Strichev

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2019, 11:20:37 pm »
I'm much more worried about the effect increased stress induced by more extreme weather may have on frequency of under bark beetles and pathogenic fungi, not to mention invasive species and pathogens brought form overseas.

Ash has been hit pretty hard around here by Hymenoscyphus fraxineus. When emerald ash borer arrives it'll be game over for ash. There is a pathogenic fungi causing cankers on maple, elm has been near non-existent since 1980s and who knows what else is going to show up next.