Author Topic: To Debark or Not to Debark.  (Read 1358 times)

Offline IrishJay

To Debark or Not to Debark.
« on: April 18, 2019, 06:51:57 pm »
I was out for a walk today, not particularly looking for bow wood; but I ran across this nice, relatively straight, piece of 1" dogwood. I plan to finish roughing it out tonight before putting it away to dry.

Would yinz recommend debarking the back and then sealing it or just leave the bark on?

"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline Hamish

Re: To Debark or Not to Debark.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 07:07:07 pm »
I always debark and re seal with PVA glue. It stops bugs. Bark is always easier to remove when freshly cut.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 07:09:32 pm »
Thanks Hamish. I usually do debark before drying, but I've never had one roughed out this far before drying.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 08:34:47 pm »
I agree, debark and seal.  You may also strap it to a form to prevent twisting and taking on too much reflex.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 06:45:42 am »
Wow, it's got a lot of twist to it.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline ohma2

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 08:12:15 am »
I have found dogwood to be bad about spiral twist.that one has some now and will get alot worse as it dries.as said better strap it down good.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 09:21:18 am »
I skinned 'er, took out the twist and did some straightening. She's clamped up and drying now. It's looking like once I get the belly all cleaned up and flat I'm going to have about 3/8" thickness along to lengths of the limbs. So while the stave is drying I'm going to prep up some black walnut belly lam's from a skinny split out of walnut I just couldnt bring myself to scrap.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 08:54:40 pm »
I did some more roughing out and heat shaping on this stave. Put a slight deflex in the handle and reflexed the tips. Net reflex is 4.5", tips are straight and the twist is gone.