Author Topic: "Spexman"  (Read 1732 times)

Offline NorthHeart

"Spexman"
« on: July 01, 2019, 01:07:20 pm »
“Spexman”, the creation story of the Wenatchi Native American people. Petroglyphs estimated 6500-9000 yrs old portray the battle with this ancient dragon, who’s remains are said to be scattered throughout the Columbia River. My artwork attempts to recreate this story the way that I interpret it, as shared with me by my Wenatchi friend Randy Lewis. This bow will be going to him.

Now for the “Spex”, get it😜 Yew wood sinew backed gullwing profile. 42” OAL, 4” brace, easy to shoot and pretty quick at 36# at 21”. If you remember back, this was one of the bows I was concerned with, so I got the tiller as close as possible at brace/short draw then bound the entire bow with sinew. Definitely it’s own beast😉
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 08:31:17 am by NorthHeart »

Offline NorthHeart

Re: "Spexman"
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 01:08:13 pm »
more pics...

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 01:08:56 pm »
more pics coming...

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 01:09:35 pm »
ok, thats it.

Offline bassman

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 01:21:59 pm »
Really like the art work ,and the fact that you sinewed the whole bow. Native culture is fascinating to me.Good on you.Very unique.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 03:32:36 pm »
Very nice bend and nice artwork. Did you layer sinew lengthwise under the sinew wrapping?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 05:01:36 pm »
You do some very nice work, NorthHeart. Your artistic flair compliments your bows perfectly.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline silent sniper

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 01:55:43 am »
Beautiful bow and awesome full draw profile! Very nice!

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2019, 06:38:41 am »
I love how each of your bows are unique, yet share a common overall look that is obviously you.

Nice bend on this one, and the artwork is top notch.  :OK
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2019, 08:20:01 am »
Pat B- Yes there is sinew running length wise down the back.  This was one of the bows which the sinew tried to pull the wood apart so it was bound for insurance.

PASteve, Bass, Sniper- Glad you all like the bow and the artwork representing the Spexman story.

Upstate- You put it nicely. ;) I've been developing my own style slowly and organically. Each bow with its own personality, but sharing certain motifs which link them back to the originator.

Here is the "head of the dragon" sticking out from the river (1890).  Also Randy's book in which i drew inspiration for the art depicting the battle with the dragon.  He explains the difference in photos based on the angle and before the river was dammed.

Offline smoke

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2019, 12:02:30 pm »
Nicely done!  Love the art work!