Author Topic: Is Yew Good?  (Read 22764 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Re: Is Yew Good?
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2008, 03:08:03 am »
Dave, how does the Yew take the high heat and low humidity conditions around where you are in the summer?  What are you using to seal your bows with? I might use that instead of what I have been using on the yew bows I am building. Got to come out to the Classic with me next year its a hoot!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2008, 11:22:11 am »
David, on my hunting bows I lilke to use polyurethane, I build up the finish with multiple coats. this year I plan on using thunderbird epoxy, it is even more durable. I would like to go to the classic, just see what airfare does by that time. I hunted in the heat during regular season, and in pouring rain the late season with no problems.

Offline Fundin

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2008, 08:03:36 am »
adb3112 and D Tiller, I think my everyday yew longbow, 51#@26" with at least 40 000 shots would be an everydat shooter if any bow is it. It has not lost a pound after the first 100 shots, it has been dragged throuh bushes, endured at least a dozen stringbreaks, had the antlernocks break off twise (dropped it from a bike once and the othe time the raindeerantler just split, replaced it with moose wich is tougher) run over by a car once and got squished in a door once....  It has handeled humidity between 15%RH and 100%RH over periods of time....

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2008, 10:40:35 pm »
Juniper-junkie;  You seem to have a particular kind of English longbow in mind. The D shape was the only shape for Victorians and BLS officials. Extreme Victorians came up eith the 'whaleback', a D  that was thicker than it was wide. This was a natural for any compression ailment. Tudor and mediaeval bows were never thicker than they were wide. Many were more oval than D shape which gives less compressipn stress like those that had a rounded rectangular section. You really have to classify them as English longbows whether BLS agrees or not.

Offline bcbull

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2008, 11:56:27 am »
 hi guys  i found the yew thread a bit late  and  you guys were quoting pip bickestaff and some other s as great bow makers   i think a lot of ya forgot we have one that make s yew bows right here  in the good ol usa   thats second to none  in my book  any one rember  DON ADAMS FROM ORGGON ha  iv seen his work  and it s top of the line  ;D

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2008, 08:53:29 pm »
He retired this year!  :(  He sold the buisness to Dave Tinsley up here in WA.  I think he said it was getting to be to much for him and he wanted to spend more time flying. Tinsley is now making more bows and archery tools than ever. Hardly ever get to see him at Camlann these days. Though I am not there much myself!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline ChrisD

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2008, 10:18:59 am »
he said that yew is a rubbish bow wood if you want a long lasting bow....
Hi, ChrisD i hope you didn't think i or the bowmaker was putting Yew wood down in my quote?
I was just after a bow that was worth it's money and would stand up to the job.
The bowmaker in question gave his opinion freely,and as it's been said yew bows can be a lot of cash for a good one, but being from the UK it just seem that your head is saying go for the bow that will last a lifetime and will roll with the knocks and your heart says.....YEW BOW ALL THE WAY BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for all of the informion and help people have put on the subject but the jury is still out on this one........ hhmmmmm Yew......

I've followed this topic for a while now and have been thinking about the directions that the discussion has taken and how some have interpreted the question. I'd like to add a bit of context to what I've already said if I may?

First off, of course yew is good - its still used in many of the finest bows no matter what the type.

Secondly, in the context of the English Warbow, it was certainly the best available at the time for that type of design and those requirements. It needs to be remembered that part of the reason for the design was probably suitability for mass production and efficient materials use, maybe to the detriment of out and out performance - a given failure rate of the bows (if thats what happened) does not necesarily mean there was a problem with the material. The burgundian bow mentioned in Soars book and the mysterious 'Broad Bow' indicate that bowyers could optimise performance well enough if they needed to.

Thirdly, we know that yew from all over Europe was imported to England for warbows and that therefore, for historic significance alone, ownership of such a thing has huge value to any dedicated student of archery history. This is especially true of Italian yew because we know that Henry VIII ordered 40000 such staves prior to his French campaigns, that in the end only 20000 could be delivered (presumably the order strained supplies) and that it is therefore extremely likely that many(possibly all) of the MR bows are actually of North Italian origin.

Finally, there is the question of performance. There is a great deal of discussion about how one type of yew performs compared with another and websites have been quoted saying what size a tree should be to yield such and such a performance. I don't think anyone can really know because even the most experienced bowyers of today have limited quantities of wood to work with and we don't really have a way of measuring materials quality against that available to bowyers of the past. What is more, even the most prolific bowyers today will only make EWB's in the hundreds in a commercial lifetime, while in mediaeval times, a bowyer might have made or supervised the production of tens thousands in a working life. Finally, we know from Richard Wadges research that the requirement for staves was vast - they must have taken pretty much everything they could get!! I will say this though. In Hugh Soars book 'Secrets of the Warbow', details of experiments are given of how an Italian Yew bow was the equal of others about 20-30lb heavier. I have only owned one Italian yew bow and I eventually broke it - but having owned a series of heavier bows since, I can say that even at the end of its working life, it still cast as far as a bow 20lb or so heavier. This will have been contributed to by the fact that I was better able to use it than I am some of my heavier equipment which is harder to master - but the Italian yew nevertheless punched well above its weight.

I hope these comments put my earlier thoughts in context - any ire directed my way please.

Chris

wanabehunter

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2008, 12:06:15 am »
IMO hes out of yew... "experts" usually dont know what their talking about when it comes to things that need to be actually tested and not hypothesized...