Author Topic: Do I need to back this bow?  (Read 3120 times)

Offline TreyNC

Do I need to back this bow?
« on: April 13, 2008, 07:45:00 pm »
So  I am back building bows and having some much needed sucess. I decided to make a lamination bow. I have an unlimited supply of red oak and some maple to work with. I just glued up a 1/16" thick piece of red oak to 3/8" thick maple(not sure what variety),  and glued on a maple handle. I am using urac 185 glue. the bow will be 1.5" at the fades to .5" nock and 64" over all, 62 n to n. Poundage will be what ever she will comfotably give me. Should I back this bow with rawhide? Raw hide is what I have on hand. I will be shaping this bow out tomarrow and could back then if needed. What do you guys think? Any other suggestions or obsevations would be greatly appreaciated as well.

Thankss

Offline Hrothgar

Re: Do I need to back this bow?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 08:07:30 pm »
TreyNC, are you using red oak on the back? Generally red oak isn't considered a flexible backing like hickory, bamboo, or even maple.  Probably is a good idea to back the oak with leather or silk, or some other strong flexible material. Hrothgar
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 08:30:42 pm »
I'm with you there...the Bow should be 1/16" - 1/8" Maple and 3/8" Red Oak...not the other way around....Red Oak aint too great in Compression....good luck
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline TreyNC

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 09:21:52 pm »
Thanks guys, I just thought I would try and find out. Thought maybe I would try the darker wood out to start. I will back this one with raw hide and cut out another the other way around tomorrow.

Offline snedeker

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 10:47:36 pm »
if the red oak is edge grained totally parrelel, it will work fine with no backing.  Red oak is an suitable backing for maple. Your 1/16 over 3/8 will provide a bow with a relatively low draw weight.

Dave

Offline TreyNC

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 11:27:42 pm »
snedeker, can you give me some ideas of thicknes to play with for say 55lbs. This was intended to be a learning project. If I reverse the wood species will this help? And how thick should the back lam be?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 02:04:10 am »
Reverse this bow if you haven't gone too far bending it. Make the maple the back and the oak the belly. I have never used maple for back or belly but from what I hear about hard(sugar) maple it makes a good belly wood and a good back for not so strong belly woods. I have worked with hickory backed red oak so I'd bet maple would work very well with a red oak belly.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC