Author Topic: Black Locust: Worm Hole? Should I be concerned?  (Read 2021 times)

Offline PaSteve

Black Locust: Worm Hole? Should I be concerned?
« on: October 11, 2019, 07:37:47 am »
This is a lightweight black locust bow I'm building. Going for 60" ntn and 25#@24". While working the belly this hole appeared. The limb is not quite at floor tiller but getting close. I stuck a pin in there and it almost goes through the limb but bottoms out before going through the back. Should I be concerned? Possibly fill it with saw dust and epoxy or super glue?  The hole is about 3/32" in diameter. Thanks for replies. Steve
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Ryan Jacob

Re: Black Locust: Worm Hole? Should I be concerned?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 07:52:15 am »
I would be worried, the thin wood left at that spot might compromise the wood on the back.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 08:07:49 am »
Steve-o, if the hole is straight through without collateral damage, then continue on, but drill it through first, don't leave that thin bottom end section intact.  If you think they may have a cave dug out within the limb, start another one.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 09:23:18 am »
I was just working a BL stave that had a pretty similar hole and found an excavated area the size of a half dollar.  You never know what lies beneath the surface...that has happened to me a couple of times, so I am pretty leery of worm holes.

Offline bassman

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 11:30:45 am »
I just built 3 Elm bows that had  rotted knots, crooks,and turns etc. I fixed some pretty big knot holes . Some ran straight from back to belly, and some ran horizontal. I made sure  I cleaned all the rotten wood, and put Elm  saw dust, and  crazy glue,packing the dust as tight as I could. No problems yet. Go for it.

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 12:28:10 pm »
  Elm will tolerate things that black locust won't because of the inter locking grain. I have used elm boards with massive run outs and had no problems.

Offline bassman

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 02:25:23 pm »
I have used that deal with about every wood I have  ever used. Not just Elm. Has always worked well for me.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 04:04:46 pm »
I would probably try it since its light weight,, but thats no guarantee it gonna work,, :NN

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 05:24:41 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I'll proceed with caution and plug it hoping that it may tolerate a light draw weight. If not, at least I'll learn something.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Hamish

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 05:48:35 pm »
If you want to be 100% sure, drill and plug, then back it with rawhide or sinew.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2019, 09:35:39 pm »
Some of the BL around here in my yard started having insect holes. It was multiple holes per stave. Thankfully, I did not see any such holes in the last BL stave I worked.

Truthfully, these staves found their way to the wood stove.

Since you started it,  I would drill it and plug it. I would use a wood glue. It would help  to leave extra wood around the width and tiller that area slightly stiff.

I would not trust it in the deer woods.

Jawge

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2019, 07:32:45 am »
Innocent looking bug holes often do this below the surface.