Author Topic: Sioux Bows  (Read 5929 times)

Offline IrishJay

Re: Sioux Bows
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2019, 06:26:35 pm »
Another update. Belly lams have been cut to taper on the black cherry bow. Doing some sanding work on it and will probably have a low brace worked out by the end of the week.

I also started another gullwing. This one is hard maple. The rock maple does not take heat shaping very well (I actually ruin 2 otherwise good staves trying to bend them). So its just going to be a long slow walk to get the stave to a good profile without cracking the belly.

"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2019, 03:00:46 pm »
Pulled a low brace on the black cherry bow for the first time. One limb is definitely stiffer than the other. Once I even that out it should be braced well enough to start tiller.

"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2019, 05:03:10 pm »
Up to 2.5" brace, still working on that stiff limb. Added a binding of B50 around a questionable spot in the handle for extra insurance.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2019, 06:27:26 pm »
Last update for today, I promise. 3.5" brace, which is going to be its final brace height. Its just enough that the string shouldn't catch the back of your bow hand on release. Limbs are fairly even, going to get it sanded down and toast the belly, then its onto tiller.

Offline PatM

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2019, 07:49:03 pm »
You'll lose your belly lam if you toast it.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2019, 07:54:17 pm »
Pat, belly lam is not full length. Its only on the 20" or so spanning center stave.  I plan to wrap the laminated area with a welding blanket to prevent heat from getting to the glue and just toast the unlaminated portions of the limbs.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2019, 09:49:33 am »
Non-laminated sections of the limbs toasted out nicely with no glue damage in the laminated area. Profile is showing virtually zero set after several braces and short, low weight pulls.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2019, 12:56:17 pm »
Black cherry bow had a no warning blowout approaching final tiller.  Had about 35lbs @ 26" inches, heard it tick and before I could let off the tension kablewly.