Author Topic: Hair on Hides  (Read 5554 times)

Offline agd68

Hair on Hides
« on: April 28, 2008, 04:48:39 pm »
 Hi All, looking for some advise on tanning a bear skin with the hair on.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Hair on Hides
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 05:10:22 pm »
Simple...ask a taxidermist.   >:D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 07:22:41 pm »
if you want to brain o regg tan it, look it ooga booga at the tan- a long post- Ryan
other than that, send it to a local tannery or taxidermist, but be ready to wait atleast 6 months
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 09:17:08 pm »
I have brain tanned bear hides, the trick is to get the grease out of it, I scraped the hide real well washed it in a solution of dawn soap and warm water.. rinse the hide well and stretch it out to dry.. whole process is time consuming... after the hide is dry rub in a solution of brains... I used a cow brain, but each animal has enough brain to tan it's own hide..I warm the brains in about two cups water.. making a paste.. rub the brains into the hide and let the paste soak for about two hours. i then rub a second coat of brain and begin the hard part.. now you want to soak the hide in water.. i use a thirty gallon drum. let soak for about three hours and remove .. restretch the hide and begin working the hide with an old axe handle .. I grind mine down in the shape of a blunt chisel. you will need to work the hide until it is completely dry.. if you run out of time in the day.. roll the hide up in plastic after misting with a spray bottle to keep it from drying.. i work the hide until it is dry about ten hours.. then finish the hide with a rough rope this raises the fibers giving the leather a very soft texture.. once the hide is tanned i smoke mine over a pine bough fire to waterproof and ads a natural scent to the leather.. incase you want to wear it while hunting ;D  good luck and post pictures of your progress brother, we would like to see the finished leather... Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline agd68

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 12:10:26 am »
Thanks guys, Hawk did you have any problems with hair falling out after you tanned the hide?                             
Happiness is..

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 12:16:30 am »
usually you will ahve some hair fall out, even if it falls out, dont feel that its wasted, it still would make a good robe or rug. by robe i mean blanket, its a mountain trapper and native american "term" ;D
Modern Day Tramp

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 01:07:16 am »
not as long as you degrease it good.. I would try a raccoon or two first... they are a lot like bear to tan.. Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 09:06:27 am »
yeah true, a coon is in the family of a bear, they are extremely fatty and must be fleshed well, if a lot of the fat was to stay on thats how hair will fall out and your hide can go green...
Modern Day Tramp

Offline agd68

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 06:28:28 pm »
Hi All,thanks for the advise. I have a couple of frozen hides so I will give it a whirl.
Happiness is..