Author Topic: Any Love for the Straight Limb Design? (Beginner Bowyer Help)  (Read 2753 times)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Any Love for the Straight Limb Design? (Beginner Bowyer Help)
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2020, 09:38:02 am »
My favorite bow, of all that I have ever made, approaching 100 I suppose, is a straight limb working handle bow. Hard hitting and smooth as butter. Knotty Boy, you can look it up on here. 66 or 68 inches. Osage.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2020, 09:38:53 am »
Keep us informed with your progress and don't forget to ask as many questions as needed and please post pics so we can fully understand any problems you may come up with.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2020, 10:01:18 am »
There is really nothing like the curve of a well tillered straight bow.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2020, 11:51:43 am »
RedS,
What all the guys have said!  Also you may want to read Paul Comstock's book "The Bent Stick" and the Traditional Bowyer's Bible, vols 1-4".  Like Pat B said, ask lots of questions and post pics.  The only dumb question is the one you don't ask!  Btw, welcome to PA!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2020, 12:16:59 pm »
great info above,, I prefer a straight limb bow,, thats what I shoot  most the time,,
I get good speed ,, easeir to make,, I just like them,,
sometimes I shoot a recurve, but I dont make many,,not saying straight is better,, but is a great option for hunting or target,,

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2020, 05:25:10 pm »
as to length--if you only have 60" to work with--if that is the length of your stave, It will still work, but I would make it a bend-through-the-handle bow so you can make use of the whole length.  If your stave is longer, make the bow longer--it will be easier on things like stack and string angles.