Author Topic: Unclogging shinto rasps  (Read 1476 times)

Offline Ryan Jacob

Unclogging shinto rasps
« on: March 25, 2020, 11:33:51 am »
I bought a shinto rasp since I like how aggressively they remove wood but they’re kind of a pain to clean with a barbecue stick. How would you guys clean one?

Offline Strichev

Re: Unclogging shinto rasps
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 11:47:14 am »
I use a brass brush to clean my files and rasps. I've heard that people prefer non-metal brushes for fear of dulling the rasps. Suppopsedly using some oil on the rasp and then brushing it can help. I've also read that people rinse it with water.

The Zen Master

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 11:49:24 am »
Would a file card work?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 11:50:15 am »
They rarely plug up when the wood is dry.   
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 12:11:00 pm »
I have always used a cheap brass BBQ brush from the dollar store to clean my files and rasps, I cut most of the handle off. Brass is soft and won't dull your equipment. I have a file card but the bristles are steel and I am hesitant to use it although I used it for years before I changed to the brass brush I use now.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 02:34:43 pm »
I use my air compressor. I was going to say that some woods clog worse than others. I find yew is bad. But now that PD says damp wood is worse I'm not sure. Maybe my yew was damp. Don't think so though. How about going across the bow instead of lengthwise? I know I've had mine clog, I'm just trying to think what I was doing at the time. I would do some tests but I'm in the middle of heat treating.

Offline Rākau

• Aotearoa-the land of the long white cloud
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 01:05:43 am »
I do a heap of work with a shinto  and I find that whether it clogs or not is sensitive to how it is held. If I really bear down on the blades by putting my index finger on top to increase leverage it tends to clog. However, if I only hold the handle and concentrate pressure on the trailing edge of the blades it cuts far more efficiently and seems to not clog up. let the blades do the work.

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 01:46:03 am »
Damp wood does seem to clog worse... maybe I should use a different rasp for roughing out staves. I’m not confident enough to use an axe yet, have trouble following lines.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 02:52:57 am »
On the fine side of an old cabinet rasp which I was struggling to clean... in desperation I gave it a quick waft over a hot flame from a propane torch. It scorched the wood which then brushed out nicely. :)
Obviously don't want it hot enough to effect the steel tho'
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 08:27:01 am »
They make a wire bristle brush designed to clean files, the have a 45 degree bend in the wires. They work great, 2-3 swipes across you file and it’s clean.
Eric

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2020, 08:44:52 am »
They work great for files but a Shinto rasp will grab and hold those wires.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2020, 11:46:39 am »
Haven't try compressed air, but with the wire brush, I try to work from the handle to the tip.  Dry wood and moderate pressure on the rasp should help slow the clogging.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2020, 01:04:29 pm »
Just did a little work with my Shinto. I found that if I file with(along) the grain it clogs up. Across the grain doesn't. Kinda makes sense. Working along the bow would cut off long shavings which would tangle and clog. Across would make shorter shavings which could fall free. I was working with heat treated Black Locust.