Author Topic: Id like to have a group experiment  (Read 964 times)

Offline sleek

Id like to have a group experiment
« on: April 27, 2020, 02:49:32 pm »
Id like to see if some folks wouldn't mind helping me prove an idea. Id tell what the idea is now, but im afraid of influencing the results.  I need as many people who have either a chrono and or a place to flight shoot, as well as two very different bows. The bows criteria are simple. One bow, call it bow A needs to have higher early draw weight than bow B, and otherwise a smooth draw.  Bow B id like it to actually stack at the end of draw, which is typically considered bad.

The idea idea is I'd like to see arrows heavier that 10 gpp ( heavy as you got them )  shot from both bows with fps/distance recorded, then arrows at 10 gap and then as low as you feel safe shot and recorded. 

Id like draw length, draw weight, arrow weight and the shot results. Does anyone mind playing along?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Id like to have a group experiment
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 04:14:47 pm »
I can't get out anywhere to flight shoot yet :(
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 07:19:30 pm »
sleek....From what I've found and seen a faster dry firing bow with less mass on the outer limbs will shoot lighter arrows farther but will not shoot heavier arrows farther.
A compromise usually is gotten.I like levered bows for this very reason.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 11:48:54 pm »
I'm with Del!  On the other hand, I ain't sure what the rules are except that I have 2 entirely different bows, I think!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 09:26:42 am »
No field and I don't have a bow short enough to stack. At least not that I've noticed. Sorry

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 10:29:12 am »
I can do that sleek. Will take a few days. Been gettin bad weather and my chrono is outta batteries. it will probably be a little bit before I get my hands on another 9v...usually that wouldn't be an issue. Probably will get flight results so I don't have to go to the store for just a battery, unless I find one somewhere.

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 11:04:34 am »
Sleek I’ll probably do this today. Weather’s good and I can get out there. I’d like to try a  range of bows for more data points but we’ll see

Do you think it would skew the data to use lower draw weight bows? I can get more data in the same amount of time if I don’t walk as far. I’ll look for a 9v again if i find one i can use the chrony.

Before I get out there, any more data points you want? I don’t think I have two bows that are otherwise similar but have the qualities you mention, I’ll see what I find

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 11:37:29 am »
Any draw weight is fine. Any draw length is fine. Just keep the draw length consistent. Any style bow is fine as well. I just need to know what it is, its weight, draw length, does it stack or not, what weight arrows you shoot, and their distance/speed. If you can be troubled, I'd also like to know the FD chart as well of each bow. That would help me quantify the results better.

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 11:37:57 am »
Thanks for helping out too by the way.