Author Topic: Tillering. Corners/Directly on flat surface?  (Read 1409 times)

Offline AndyTurner

Tillering. Corners/Directly on flat surface?
« on: June 25, 2020, 04:35:48 am »
Hi. Ok so I've been reading "The American Longbow" by Graf, and watching You tube videos on the subject of tillering.

I've seen people take wood straight off the flat surface but Graf states that it should be taken from the corners. What are the pros & cons of each method?

If taking from the corners - do you...
a. round all corners before tillering then take off where needed?
b. leave the edges square and just sand the flat surface next to the edge?

Thank you in advance for all your input,
Andy

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Tillering. Corners/Directly on flat surface?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 05:23:18 am »
Like most stuff it's a compromise.
It's easy to do initial roughing out as a rectangular cross section. It's also easier to remove small amounts in a controlled manner from a corner rather than a flat surface.
Bearing in mind the final bow will have rounded corners, it's a matter of when you start rounding.
I tend to get a bow pulling back say 20" on along string before I start to round the corners.
It amuses me slightly that some people get obsessed with the "rounded belly" of an English Longbow. It's not necessarily very rounded and many of the Mary Rose bows are more like a slightly inflated rectangle or square in cross section. Simply taking off the corners produces the shape.
I find it's a bit like reducing the thickness of a log using an axe, it's easier to cut off the corners first, and then the resulting ridge that runs down the middle. (see pic)
Go with your gut... there's no right or wrong.
If it's final finishing that you are worried about, just round 'em off a tad til they look and feel right, a little rounding won't effect the draw weight and will minimise the risk of splinters. A slight curve on the belly is usual, but some like 'em flat or even concave.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 05:26:31 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline AndyTurner

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 05:46:26 am »
Like most stuff it's a compromise.
It's easy to do initial roughing out as a rectangular cross section. It's also easier to remove small amounts in a controlled manner from a corner rather than a flat surface.
Bearing in mind the final bow will have rounded corners, it's a matter of when you start rounding.
I tend to get a bow pulling back say 20" on along string before I start to round the corners.
It amuses me slightly that some people get obsessed with the "rounded belly" of an English Longbow. It's not necessarily very rounded and many of the Mary Rose bows are more like a slightly inflated rectangle or square in cross section. Simply taking off the corners produces the shape.
I find it's a bit like reducing the thickness of a log using an axe, it's easier to cut off the corners first, and then the resulting ridge that runs down the middle. (see pic)
Go with your gut... there's no right or wrong.
If it's final finishing that you are worried about, just round 'em off a tad til they look and feel right, a little rounding won't effect the draw weight and will minimise the risk of splinters. A slight curve on the belly is usual, but some like 'em flat or even concave.

Wow Del thanks for that - a mine of info well written with diagrams!! Have a great day & thanks again! :0)

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 02:54:09 pm »
Dean Torges called this “faceted tillering” or something like that. Basically his argument is that it’s easier to tiller in stages and you are less likely to remove too much or remove wood unevenly. Like Del said it’s probably a matter of personal preference. One thing that is useful is how good running your index finger and thumb up and down a limb can be at feeling the thickness or unevenness. A lot will depend on what wood you are tillering. A flat board bow is a lot easier to tiller flat across the belly and less likely to go wrong than a snakey stave.

Offline AndyTurner

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 04:39:22 am »
Dean Torges called this “faceted tillering” or something like that. Basically his argument is that it’s easier to tiller in stages and you are less likely to remove too much or remove wood unevenly. Like Del said it’s probably a matter of personal preference. One thing that is useful is how good running your index finger and thumb up and down a limb can be at feeling the thickness or unevenness. A lot will depend on what wood you are tillering. A flat board bow is a lot easier to tiller flat across the belly and less likely to go wrong than a snakey stave.

Cool. All makes sense. thanks Tommy! :0)