Author Topic: Fluting  (Read 3891 times)

gene roberts

Fluting
« on: April 27, 2008, 11:16:58 pm »
Hello my fellow flint knappers,What exactly does fluting mean??

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

Re: Fluting
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 11:26:43 pm »
fluting is running a flake on each side of the point, from the base up towards the tip. some flutes go only and inch or so and others i have seen go almost to the tip. its to thin the base of the point or blade so its easier to haft to a shaft or handle.  its not really needed unless your point is extra thick at the base or your shaft is thin.....or if you like the way it looks.     but!, it is also a recipe for disaster. you can have a point completely finish and then try to knock a flute and the shock wave of the strike can snap it is half.  some people sink the point in mud or clay. some depress it against their leg...me personally, i try to avoid it. i have lost many nice points b\c i was trying to flute. - Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 11:27:43 pm »
Hello Gene,

I am sure some of the experts will chime in, but I believe that the flute is the long flake that runs both sides of a spear point from tip to base.  It creates a channel for the spear shaft to set into and gives a more secure method of attachment when lashed up with sinew or the like.

Keith
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 11:29:04 pm »
Fluting means taking a long flake off each side of the point to thin the base, usually done when the point is nearly finished. Fluting is a characteristic of American Paleo point types, such as Clovis, Folsom, Cumberland, etc. They were the guys hunting mammoths and all the big extinct megafuana at the end of the last Ice Age. Fluting is difficult to pull off, it involves specialized platform preparation and the right point cross-section. Here's a fluted Clovis point (on the left) made from some of Justin's obsidian:

Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline david w.

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 11:31:29 pm »
fluting is a good way to break your point and/or make yourself cry >:D i have never tried it and i am no where near that skill level yet but i think a fluted points is a beautiful work of art
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

gene roberts

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 11:38:13 pm »
Well that settles it,I wont be doing any Fluting any time soon,I will wait until I am an expert in about 10 years.