Author Topic: Favorite and least favorite aspects of bow building  (Read 2097 times)

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
Re: Favorite and least favorite aspects of bow building
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2020, 07:23:44 am »
I really like finding a straight trunked tree and cutting it down, removing the bark and splitting it into staves.  Then I really like taking one of those staves and bringing it down to bow dimensions.  Then I really like slowly tillering the bow out and when everything evens out at the desired draw length and weight.  Then comes my favorite part, shooting the bow in.  I find it very satisfying when that tree is in my hand throwing arrows at the target. 

Probably my least favorite is the finish work but I am starting to like that part more as I feel that is what a great shooting bow deserves.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2020, 07:35:40 am »
I dislike removing the bark and sapwood from a well seasoned stave. I have carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands and they will go painfully numb at night for a week or so after any violent drawknifing.

I am not working any osage at the present but almost all my osage has had the bark and sapwood removed while it was green because this process is much easier green than seasoned.

My favorite part of bowmaking is taking that first shot with a bow that is newly shaped and tillered.

I also take great pride in sighting down the back of a stave and looking at a newly chased ring.  The stave is saying "I am ready to be a bow now", quite a transformation from a rough split out of a log.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 07:45:28 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Flntknp17

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2020, 08:31:00 am »
Thought I’d open what is hopefully a fun discussion with no name calling! What is everybody’s favorite and least favorite aspects of bow building?
My favorite is finish details - tip overlays, inlays, handle wraps (ooh I love handle wraps) but also shaping grips and risers.
My least favorite by far is establishing the thickness profile leading up to floor tillering. Ugh.

As discussed, we have the opposite favorite and least favorite things.....I LOVE the first few hours of the process, shaping, sawing, floor tillering, basically anything up to the point of bracing the bow.  All the finish work after bracing is tedious and time consuming to do really well and I always get impatient with it.  You just need to move back here and I'll start them and you can finish them!

Offline Morgan

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2020, 10:53:12 am »
I love most all aspects of turning a stave into a working bow, from cutting the tree or sapling to the break in arrows loosed. Every step I tire, or get bored with, but what is great about making a bow is about the time I’m getting tired of a particular part it is time to move on to the next step. I love the feeling of after about the 50th arrow turned loose I start to feel confident that it is a bow.

I really do not like finish work much. I very much like to see the works of art on here and wish that kind of detail and artistic ability came naturally to me, but every time I try to pretty one up, it goes bad. Bows to me are utilitarian, a tool, so I tend to get em smooth and seal them and call em done after they are shot in.
Another aspect that I’m not fond of is a feeling of dread throughout the whole tillering process. A feeling that I’ve messed something up, or that I’m not seeing things correctly (gizmo has helped with this a lot). Also the dread that a lot of time and effort will be spent to make toothpicks. This is a bittersweet part of it though, because when everything works out the constant dread makes the success more meaningful. I don’t think I would enjoy it as much if I knew exactly how the bow would come out in the end.
I do not enjoy making bows specifically for others. I like giving people bows I have made, but knowing that I am making a bow specifically  for someone else adds stress that the person will not be happy with what I’ve made, or was less than what they expected. I much prefer to tell someone “it’s yours if you want it” after they have mentioned they are pleased with a bow I’ve made.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2020, 11:37:30 am »
I rarely try to 'pretty up' a bow.  IMO the wood grain is the most attractive part of the bow anyway.  Anything that distracts from that is to much.  This of course makes sanding and finishing important, which is tedious.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2020, 01:08:11 pm »
My least favorite is removing sapwood from a seasoned osage stave. My favorite is all the rest.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2020, 02:14:44 pm »
I HATE the first full brace.  Makes me feel like Bugs Bunny when he was testing for dud bombs.  (If you get that, you’re old.)

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2020, 04:36:50 pm »
I like roughing the bow out to shape,,I dont like blowing one up,, :NN

Offline TimBo

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2020, 04:47:41 pm »
I definitely enjoy the splitting/roughing out phase, up to floor tiller (although seeing it bend that much is pretty cool).  After that, I tend to start moving veerrry slooowwly so I don't mess up, and that can be less fun - I sort of envy the people who go fast (especially the ones who end up with a good bow).  My least favorite part is probably heat treating, or any sort of sideways bending.