Author Topic: how much hide glue?  (Read 1044 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
how much hide glue?
« on: February 11, 2021, 08:48:06 pm »
I'm going to be ordering some sinew hanks and hide glue to repair this sliver in my self-bow back.  Thought as long as I'm at it I'd get enough to sinew back a bow, since that's something I want to do someday.  Liquid hide glue is outrageously expensive, but lots of places, especially etsy and ebay, have granules that are pretty affordable, usually sold by the ounce.  How much of the powdered stuff do I need per bow?  I'm sure it varies a lot, but give me a ball-park idea of how much I should get.

Also, is this stuff pretty standard, or are there any quality issues I need to watch out for?

Thanks-T
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline PatM

Re: how much hide glue?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 08:53:36 pm »
Just get some Knox.  Commercial hide glue can be a  bit iffy and end up brittle when cured.  Knox stays elastic.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 09:03:51 pm »
Just get some Knox.  Commercial hide glue can be a  bit iffy and end up brittle when cured.  Knox stays elastic.

Really?  Just regular gelatin?  That's a whole lot easier to find and a lot cheaper than "rabbit glue."

Which flavor works best?  I'm partial to black cherry.   ;)
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 09:12:18 pm »
 Unflavored.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 12:40:16 am »
Really?  Just regular gelatin? 

Yep, works fine. I put a patch over a knot on my last bow with Knox and it has held up to over 1000 shots since with no issues.

Mark

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 12:49:49 am »

Really?  Just regular gelatin?  That's a whole lot easier to find and a lot cheaper than "rabbit glue."

Which flavor works best?  I'm partial to black cherry.   ;)
[/quote
Me, too!  Look for it in the food section!  I think unflavored is best for gluing, though! (lol).  I haven't used it yet, but I would think you have to make it thicker than the gelatin mix.  Btw, the house brand at Wally World is even cheaper.  Post pics!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

bownarra

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 02:34:27 am »
To get the right consistancy.
5 - 10% for sizing, 25 - 30% for actual gluing.
Weight the dry glue.
Weight your water.
Mix.
Getting thickness right is important.
Do not overheat, anything over 65 celcius is too hot. If you can't hold your finger in it - it's too hot.

gutpile

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2021, 11:14:39 am »
granule hide glue is much better than the liquid hide glue anyway and you can mix it to desired consistency.. for your sliver issue why not rawhide back it.. wont change tiller , be ready in no time compared to sinew dry time ,a sinew backing can and will affect till .. rawhide wont add poundage unless thats what you desire then sinew it.. gut

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2021, 02:29:11 pm »
Thanks for the info, guys. 

Gut, I think I'll super glue it in place, give just that spot a sinew wrap, then rawhide back it.

Hawk, I think I'll stick with Pat's advice and use plain flavor.  ;D But I wonder:  If I used apple flavor, would my bow attract deer? 

Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour