Author Topic: Heavy bows? Spine rating of shafts outside the AMO standard?  (Read 7146 times)

Offline markinengland

Heavy bows? Spine rating of shafts outside the AMO standard?
« on: September 14, 2008, 06:28:03 pm »
Does anyone know of guidance for spining arrow shafts for bows of over 70lbs?
The standard shows  a deflection of .37 to .35 of an inch for bows of 65 to 70lbs (band K). What if the bow is heavier or the shafts stiffer?
Mark in England

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Heavy bows? Spine rating of shafts outside the AMO standard?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 08:38:21 pm »
Mark, I have a spine deflection chart that goes up to 125#(.208). If I can locate it and get it to scan I will post it here or probably e-mail it to you.  I believe there is a formula to follow to figure it out but I don't know it. I'm sure someone does and will speak up.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline markinengland

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 03:58:55 am »
Pat,
Thanks. If you could find it that would be great.
Mark

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 12:02:11 pm »
Mark, I couldn't get it to scan  ::) so I copied it for you and sent it in an e-mail to you. I hope it is what you want. I also sent you to a link that might have the complete chart.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 01:12:50 pm »
Mark, on some of the heavy bows that are using 32" arrows and 300 grain bodkins the spine might be kind of hard to figure, The point weight has a major effect on how much spine you need as does the length. A 125# bow would need about 125# spine arrow if the arrow were 28" long and the tip about 125 grains. For every 25 grains point weight and every 1" of length you need to add about 5# of spine. So you might need close to 200# spine for a war arrow. Be real curious what methods our war bow enthusuasts use to get correct spine, good question Mark. Steve

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 02:23:02 pm »
Seems I read that specific spine weight is not critical with heavy weight war bows. I don't know if it is the case or not. I can't pull a war bow anyway.  ;D      Pat

Offline Albert

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 09:59:42 pm »
AMO Spine formula (based on arrow deflection measured in inches; arrow supports 26" apart, 2 lbs weight applied in center of span):

spine in pounds = 26/measured deflection in inches

ex.:

measured deflection = 0.500"
   spine = 26/0.500 = 52 lbs spine

measured deflection = 0.250"
   spine = 26 / 0.250 = 104 lbs spine

and so  forth

Cheers,
Bert

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2021, 08:17:25 am »
Good to know.