Author Topic: CA thin glue vs steam  (Read 993 times)

Offline Piddler

CA thin glue vs steam
« on: April 12, 2021, 08:01:10 pm »
Guys quick question. I have a black locust stave that I'm working on. Gonna be a shorty at 53". Anyway it it a very well aged stave and had some splits (with the grain) that I want to glue up.  I have one that is in the tapered section towards the tip but a couple in the main section . Gonna try a recurve as well but nothing drastic. Thinking to glue them up before steaming in some corrections and or boiling in the recurves.
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

Offline Weylin

Re: CA thin glue vs steam
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 08:07:47 pm »
While it's not ideal I would think it will probably end up fine. The glue might help the cracks from opening up more when you bend it. It won't make it worse. I'd probably put fresh glue in the cracks after the steam bend in case the glue is compromised by the heat. I've had temporary overlays superglued on the tips while I boiled some recurves before. I had to work just as hard to get those overlays off as I would have had they not  been boiled. I was surprised the glue held up as well as it did. Not that I'd ever boil permanent overlays but it was still an interesting outcome.

Offline Piddler

Re: CA thin glue vs steam
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 09:17:28 pm »
Thanks Weylin,
Kind of what I was hoping in trying to keep things from opening more.
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"