Author Topic: 1st time hafting  (Read 2659 times)

Offline M2A

1st time hafting
« on: May 03, 2021, 01:07:41 am »
Been meaning to try and haft a piece for some time. But just never got very motivated in doing so. Last week the stars aligned and I was able to do some digging for some Nethers flint ridge rock. After some poking around I took a gamble on one rock and spent the day trying to get at it. Nothing fancy but it runs nice long flakes. The piece below was my first attempt at working it. I was pretty pleased with the results so figured I best put this one on a handle. Handle is some local Osage. Sinew is from a bag of goodies Don Burchett sent to me. Bought the pine pitch from 3 rivers back when I first started making bows and its the first time I have used any. Next time I'll spend a bit more time refining the handle material. But all in all I think it turned out ok. Working with such a nice piece of chert was my motivation to haft it. Not finished all the way yet and may add some cordage but had some time tonight to download pics. Hope to add the finished ones later on in this thread. Always looking to improve at this so critical observations welcome. Thanks.
Mike
IMG_4178 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_4183 (2) by Mike Allridge, on Flickr 

Offline burchett.donald

Re: 1st time hafting
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 04:47:10 am »
Mike,
          That sinew will dry and lock that nice blade in good and tight...Will check back in here  )P(
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 12:26:17 pm »
Looks good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 04:20:17 pm »
That should work. Nice point.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise