Author Topic: How long to season  (Read 957 times)

Black Moshannon

How long to season
« on: January 23, 2022, 08:38:23 pm »
I just cut a nice black locust into eighths. How long do I have to wait? They’re sitting in my dry house. I have plenty other faster drying woods I’ll be working with so i don’t have to be in a hurry but at the same time I want to make a black locust bow as soon as I can.

Offline Jakesnyder

Re: How long to season
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 09:20:57 pm »
There's no set time. It is kind of like osage in the sense if you look at it wrong it will dry check. The thing with quick drying is there is a line and if you cross it you can ruin some good staves.

Black Moshannon

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 10:11:00 pm »
Ok yea I’m not trying to dry these too quick I figured average house temps would be ok around 60

Offline Hamish

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2022, 10:45:32 pm »

"It is kind of like osage in the sense if you look at it wrong it will dry check. "

That has been my experience too. If you take the bark off when its green you have to heavily coat the back with several coats of glue or it will check quickly. Especially if you leave the sapwood on. Despite sealing the back well, sometimes the sapwood will check no matter what I do.

This is for summer cut wood, or wood left indoors in a heated environment. Not so bad if you cut in winter.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2022, 11:24:59 pm »
I wouldn't keep them in the house right off but in a covered outside(garage) location for a month or so. Be sure the ends are sealed. This will get the M/C down just a bit and help keep them from drying too fast causing checking. I think a year would be the least time to season a stave but of course more time is better. After a couple of months you could take them(or just one) down to floor tiller stage and it will dry quicker. As soon as you find a clean back ring be sure to seal the back well. At this point I like to use shellac. Later on a light sanding and a wipedown with alcohol will remove the shellac for final finishing or you could leave the shellac on the back and add finish over that.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Black Moshannon

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 06:59:43 am »
Ok sounds like I need to leave it out in the barn or garage. And maybe leave the bark on? I’m a little concerned about bugs eating through if I leave bark on. Still haven’t taken it off yet. One year seasoning won’t hurt me. I was guessing I’d have that wait

Offline bassman211

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 08:08:22 am »
I left mine season for better than 2 years in my basement (cellar) at 62 degrees year round with the bark on ,and the ends sealed with glue. Ended up with clean wood with no checks. Chased to a good heart wood ring, and built the bows. Trapped back ,and belly heat treated on a form. Pyramid design. It's not Osage ,but can make a good bow.

Black Moshannon

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 08:22:43 am »
Sounds good to me. All my bows are hickory elm and the like, never made an Osage bow. I made a sweet shooting black locust I shot for years but I left the sapwood on and eventually it got small cracks