Author Topic: A few more sinew backing questions  (Read 996 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
A few more sinew backing questions
« on: February 14, 2022, 01:46:57 pm »
1.  All of my sinew pieces are only about 6-8" long.  Will that work OK for backing a bow, or do I need longer strands?
2.  How small do the threads need to be?  I'm using some large bison tendons, with the threads really interwoven.  I can get them down to a couple mm or so, but if I try to pull them apart more than that they break into glue scraps.
3.  When laying down the sinew on the back, do you overlap the pieces, or just lay them end to end?  Do you overlap the side edges, or just lay them side to side?

I plan on doing about three layers, if that helps.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

gutpile

Re: A few more sinew backing questions
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 03:31:40 pm »
small pieces are fine.. you will find a need for them.I shred my sinew into small fibers always..can lay multiple fibers at once .. soak in glue and squeeze the excess out before laying on bow I lay mine end to end and come back for second course overlapping the end to end. I stagger like laying bricks.. after second course of covering the end to ends you will find that you have dips which I fill in those with the third course and that usually leaves a nice flat fairly smooth finish.. gut

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 04:11:50 pm »
I have used really thin pieces and larger strands as well, the chronograph,, could not tell the difference,, the large strands does not look as nice,, but if you cover with rawhide or snake skin,,it would not be an issure,, I think the thinner strands are easier to work with,, thats my experience

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 05:50:05 pm »
OK, that's all good to know.  I plan to sand it semi-smooth then snake it, if I can find a nice, big bull snake or a couple of nice buzzies coming out of hibernation this spring.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

bownarra

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2022, 03:13:18 am »
A comb and warm water are your friends :)
Weigh your bundles out so you have even amounts on each limb. Once you have even weight bundles , run them under warm water, once soft comb them straight. This step will make a huge difference in how neat your finshed layers are.
Size the back before laying anything down. 5 % glue - 10 coats, ok to use some warmth to speed drying of size coats (but not too much! Once the back is glossy you are ready to start. Mix up some 25 - 30% glue for the first layer. Best to lay down a thin layer over the whole back and allow it to dry before laying more. 3 layers total. Maybe 60 - 80 grammes of sinew total.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2022, 06:23:12 am »
+1 and excellent procedure and amount for sinewing and pretty much the way I do mine too.Sizing is very important here.My next layers are'nt as wide consecutively to get a more crowned effect.
Sinewing a number of bows over the years will get your procedure and outcome refined to a look that does'nt need a whole lot of sanding afterwards to get smooth.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed