Author Topic: Grouse tail?  (Read 4033 times)

Offline Postman

Grouse tail?
« on: May 19, 2008, 11:01:13 am »
Found a "crime scene' where a fox,bobcat or 'yote whacked a grouse the other day. Didn't find any wing feathers. Anybody ever fletch with ruffed grouse tail feathers? If so, did you strip one side or use them whole? Any style descriptions that they are best used for /pics would be appreciated.
John
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Grouse tail?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 11:28:26 am »
John, I haven't used grouse tail specifically but with smaller feathers you can attach them to the shaft back side down and 3 around the shaft. It works very well as fletching.
  Here are a few pics. Unfortunately they don't show up well.     Pat

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Postman

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 11:34:47 am »
I think I see what's going on there....Are those whole feathers or stripped in half?  That's a beauty of a point, BTW!
Thanks Pat,
John

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 11:45:40 am »
John, Whole feathers.   Actually that arrow with the point was made by James Parker. I couldn't find the pics of the arrow I made like that.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 01:55:14 pm »
Here's a similar one with guinea feathers, the grouse tail feathers should work fine. This is a good style of fletching, they fly great.

Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 01:56:59 pm »
Well I'll be guess I will have to start saving dem der pat tails this fall eh.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Postman

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 02:54:28 pm »
Thanks for the pic, Hillbilly. Nice looking arrow.  Sorry to see your osage that blew up, :-[  but good luck on that pig hunt!

Dana -what's a der pat? Is it like a loony eh?   Oh.... In case you're a red wings fan, Penguins in Six!  ;)  I'm wit youse guys inda western Conference, but I love my Pens!
 ;D

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 03:10:02 pm »
I've used grouse tail feathers.  They look really nice but they are fragile.  Don't use them for kid's arrows (I know from experience). ;D
I've used them whole and also with one side peeled off.  The beauty of delicate feathers is that you don't need to split the quill (unless you want to glue them down).  Just peel half of the feather off, flatten the front part of the quill, cut a bit of the veins off the back, and haft the ends to the shaft (leaving the middle "floating").
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 03:47:26 pm »
Postman a Pat is a grouse or partridge :)

"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI