Author Topic: Best month to harvest hickory  (Read 828 times)

Offline Muskyman

Best month to harvest hickory
« on: January 25, 2023, 02:59:23 pm »
I know that you want to harvest hickory in spring or summer months so the bark will come off and leave a pristine back. Just wondering what months are best for this?
I have a few hickory trees out back about 8-10 inches in diameter I’m planning on harvesting this spring or summer and was wondering when is to early or late for the bark to peel off it nicely.
Thanks

Offline Jakesnyder

Re: Best month to harvest hickory
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 05:01:31 pm »
Kind of depends on location a little bit. I live in western PA and in april and May it still doesn't slip real easy all the time. I'd say end of May early June. Just my 2 cents...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 05:59:21 pm »
When the leaves are fully out probably until late August, during the growing season.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline superdav95

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2023, 11:10:20 pm »
Like others have said I do my harvesting in June here in eastern Ontario Canada. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2023, 08:27:05 am »
In Tennessee late May through early August, Late August here the bark is starting to hang on and tougher to get off clean. July is prefect for us. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2023, 08:53:03 am »
The last I cut was in late July or early August in N/W Alabama, the bark was already set in place and had to be drawknifed off. From other hickory I have cut I would pick April and May, just after the leaves are fully formed, the bark slipped easily during this period.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2023, 09:52:39 am »
I prefer in the spring, like I said, after the leaves are fully out. I learned about bark slipping when I took horticulture classes and from a friend in those classes that grafted Japanese maples. He actually started in February or early March to do his grafts because then he could slice and peel the bark back on the root stock to insert the grafted piece so the scar tissue would form before the juices really started flowing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2023, 12:25:15 pm »
SW Ohio is where I am. Probably try it in late May, early June, leaves should be fully developed by then.
Thanks

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2023, 12:32:17 pm »
I live in central Michigan and have found late April/early May the best time. Bark almost falls off. I always peel it off in the woods so I have less weight to carry out on my shoulders. When the leaves are starting to poke out the sap is already flowing full time and the bark will slip right off. They don't have to be fully developed. Consider maple sap and when its harvested.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.