Author Topic: Hairline cracks when heat/steam bending?  (Read 3177 times)

Offline Marin

Re: Hairline cracks when heat/steam bending?
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2023, 03:40:42 pm »
Thanks you guys for all the help. I've started tillering the stave and preparing it for the backing (will take a while as I will need to process at least three leg sinews for it). Will fill in the belly crack with CA and give the back a nice sizing layer before. 
Not to resurrect a dead thread, just want to be sure I am understanding the mechanics, as I have been looking into checks on bow bellies as this issue made me curious. I used to think that a check in a finished bow was bad, but it sounds like it isn't unless it runs off the bow, and even then it can be fixed. Does it matter how deep a check goes into the wood? Or does the bow sort of deal with it the same way as a knot; a bow still bends at this spot as long as there is enough woods on both sides of the problem area?
Sorry if I am overthinking this, it's just made me curious how this shouldn't be a problem

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2023, 04:28:30 pm »
lots of variables,,running off the bow is bad, with the grain is usually ok,,

Offline Marin

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2023, 05:50:51 pm »
Hey guys, sorry to respond on an old post now, but I'm about done processing sinew and have enough to back this bow. I filled the big belly crack with CA but just thinking about the reflex the bow is going to undergo, I was worried the crack might get worse and run off the side of the bow. With your guys' experience, can the CA keep the crack from getting worse and potentially running off the side of the bow? I would hope so but not sure how strong CA is for forces like this.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2023, 02:09:40 pm »
As long as the crack has not already runoff the superglue will probably arrest any further cracking. I think you are probably okay.
Gordon