Author Topic: Amount of sinew for a 50# @26  (Read 3296 times)

Phillip K

Amount of sinew for a 50# @26
« on: May 28, 2008, 02:04:25 am »
I am going to start a sinew back in a couple weeks and was wondering how much sinew to use for a 50#@26 68"
Also I'm a bit torn by the idea of soaking the sinew in water then in hide glue, I would think that would make the hide glue not bond to the sinew and back as the sinew dries, causing seperation between the 2, If that makes any sense. Thanks PK

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Amount of sinew for a 50# @26
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 02:12:18 am »
PK, On the bows I've made 3 courses of sinew raised the weight by 10#. Depending on how much sinew you use in each course and the R/H of your area that weight could be more or less. The water, hide glue and sinew are all compatible. You don't want a lot of water on your sinew when you dip it in glue. A paper towel will eliminate the excess.  By soaking it in warm water first, the sinew becomes soft and allows the hide glue and sinew to become one and mold to the contours of the bows back. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Phillip K

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 05:30:17 am »
Thanks Pat your input is understood, your trade leathers worked well for me.PK

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 04:01:04 pm »
Unless I am mistaken most (all) hide glue has water in it.  You boiled the hide in water or if you used dry hide glue you used water to reconstitute it.  If you used liquid hide glue someone else already did one or both.  ;D

I soak sinew for 12-24 hours before applying.  I blot the water off then use it.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Phillip K

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 02:35:36 pm »
Unless I am mistaken most (all) hide glue has water in it.  You boiled the hide in water or if you used dry hide glue you used water to reconstitute it.  If you used liquid hide glue someone else already did one or both.  ;D

I soak sinew for 12-24 hours before applying.  I blot the water off then use it.  Justin
Hi Justin, I definately Agree that hide glue has water in it, I made my own, I don't Know what the ratio is between the W O:)ater and the Sinew. I was just wondering about the shrinkage of the Sinew and the evaperation of water if everything dries in sink and stays bound together but what Ive Been reading about sinew Backing and the fact that eventually I would have to repair it at some time I think I will do with Rawhide or Linen Instead. Thanks for the input Mr.

Eric Garza

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 02:51:07 pm »
I've sinew backed several bows, and unless you're particularly rough on them you shouldn't have to repair them any more often than any other backing.  I personally would think you'd have to worry more about a veggie fiber backing, just because you can fray the fibers easier than you'll do the same on a sinew banking.  Nothing against fiber, though, as it works fine.

-Eric

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 05:04:28 pm »
Phillip.if you don't soak the Sinew in Water to soften it up first....your Sinew is already shrunk.....and applying it with Hide Glue will make a rough lumpy Sinew Job that will do very little for the Bow....because the Sinew and Hide Glue cant bond and shrink down together to apply reflex....which in turn adds poundage to your Bow along with stiffening the Back...here is a Picture of the First Bow that I made that was Sinewed....before that I was informed that you had to wet it to make a smooth Backing that aids in Tension....it ain't pretty!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Phillip K

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 09:49:14 pm »
Hmm I see, Thanks for the Pic, I guess the longer it is left to dry the better the performance. I try to learn from my mistakes but will alls help mistakes are less likely.PK
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 10:03:25 pm by Phillip K »