Author Topic: Bopper preference  (Read 2387 times)

Offline Muskyman

Bopper preference
« on: December 07, 2023, 11:19:55 pm »
Looking to get some boppers. Any recommendations on sizes. Also do you prefer solid copper or lead filled heads. I saw a kit with 5 different sizes that comes in solid or lead filled. 3/4 to 11/2 inch heads. I had made some but I don’t think I put enough lead in them. Also my biggest one is deforming and not looking good at all. I think it was a 1 inch copper end cap. 
Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks

Offline paulc

Re: Bopper preference
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2023, 05:09:11 pm »
I made some boppers after a visit to the hardware store.  Copper pipe caps mounted on either pvc or a branch.  It works pretty well and cheaper than buying premade...one more rabbit hole to go down as well.  Add weight? How much weight?  pvc vs branch, lenght of lever....fwiw  Paul

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2023, 05:56:42 pm »
That’s what I used as well. Tried to round out the caps. About 2 ozs of lead in the biggest one. Then  epoxied them to a hardwood dowel. The one inch is kind of deformed now. 3/4 inch one is fine.
I know it’s operator error and not the tool but, I’ll probably buy some. Also made pressure flaker and a notching tool, and a ishi stick. Not having much luck with the indirect stuff but getting a decent flake now and then.

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2023, 06:48:12 pm »
I bought the solid copper head set myself but I work a lot of raw rock and that tears up the lead boppers faster. Whichever you pick just stick with it till your proficient, switching between types will mess ya up in the beginning
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2023, 12:52:06 am »
Thanks Allyn, I’m leaning toward the lead filled ones right now. Might just get a couple sizes of them for now. Not sure yet. Might just get a set. Might be cheaper in the long run. Need some rock to whack on once I get them though.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2023, 12:07:13 pm »
I just made this…1/4” brass insert.  Working really great.
1’—>1’

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2023, 01:17:03 pm »
I’m realizing the base shouldn’t be floppy.  I’ll restitch that.

Also, I’m feeling like this will be good for certain jobs and using all techniques come into play…but this is new for me.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 01:27:27 pm by Parnell »
1’—>1’

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2023, 05:37:55 pm »
Looking at your picture Parnell my ishi stick probably has to much of the copper end sticking out. Mine probably sticks out 1 1/2 inch. I’ll probably take it off to about 1/2 inch and see if that helps me any. I was using an aluminum rod I have and was whacking around on some junk I had laying around and finally got some decent flakes coming off. I think I’m slowly starting to figure out a few things but still have a long long way to go. Also like the way you’re holding the stick. I tried under my knee and I couldn’t do that so I’ve been using a belt/ Kelley strap   I think that’s what jack crafty called it. It works much better. I’m still trying to figure out how to hold the piece against the stick before I whack it.