Author Topic: ERC Handle/IRT Blade (More Pics)  (Read 6073 times)

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
ERC Handle/IRT Blade (More Pics)
« on: June 29, 2008, 07:26:08 pm »
Here is my number 6 - I reckon I'll stop counting after a bit, maybe now - LOL. It is made on a nice old IRT (Indian Ridge Traders) blade blank, that I can't find listed anywhere anymore. Kind of a skinny blade from top to bottom but with a thick (3/16"), unflexible back as seen in this hand-held pic (and 3 1/2 inches of same thickness tang - there was also about an inch of threaded rod at the end that I cut off):

The handle I fashioned from a triangular stave end of Eastern Red Cedar (from Pat B), a piece of brass I cut and filed for the "Guard", another , thinner piece of brass fashioned for the butt cap, and pinned (epoxied) on with a 3/4" knurled brass bolt. Rest of the handle parts were also epoxied. I finished the ERC handle with 4 coats of Tru-oil. The blade is 4 1/2" and oa length is 9 1/8" :

« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 01:47:11 pm by ber643 »
"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: ERC Handle/IRT Blade
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 07:33:04 pm »
  Good looking knife, Bernie. That blade looks like it was made for a "finger" knife, though.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline ber643

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 07:53:48 pm »
If you mean fer nearly cutting yer finger off by mistake, I can vouch fer that!  ;) Actually I have no idea. It certainly isn't for filleting, boning, or anything like that. My wife said it looked like one an outdoorsman might like for a general purpose camp knife though. I did a little research on the internet and they linked IRT and Green River knives together in some way, and I was thinking I had heard/read somewhere that the Green River knives were mostly designed (at first) for camp/trapper trade - but that's just my take on it.  I've also heard the term "Finger" knives but not at all sure of the meaning, unless maybe it's one that you lay your first finger along the back of the blade???
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 08:48:26 pm by ber643 »
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 08:53:56 pm »
Glad to see you using the stave ends. Thats a pretty little knife and the ERC handle sure sets it off.  ;) 8)   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ber643

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 10:50:00 pm »
Thanks, Pat. It was such a pretty (but weird) little blade that I wanted to give it a handle, and the piece of ERC just jumped out at me when I was trying "pieces" against it. Besides I know how pretty Cedar can be. (Sure smelt good while I was working it too - LOL)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 11:36:49 pm »
That's nice man.  O'l number 6 sure is sweet. Keep make'n em even if you quit counting.  ;D

Mike

So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline ber643

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 09:09:29 am »
LOL - you got that all right, Mike, don't think I can stop, in fact I have another (setting the guard) right now. Thank you for the look and kind words.
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 09:31:10 am »
Nice looking knife,love the looks of ERC, very light also.    :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ber643

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 11:59:35 am »
Yep, That's true, Pappy, thank you also.

I've posted two knives lately, and they were preceeded by the little one on the right in the following pics. Two questions have been asked on forums, that prompted me to add these two views. One question was regarding the shape of the Elk antler handle on the Bowie in the middle, and the other about "pinning" end caps (epoxied). The Red Cedar Handle on the left is capped with a thiner piece of brass that I fashioned and a 3/4", knurled-headed, brass bolt. Bowie's cap is White Corian pinned with a 1 1/4" Brass Srew with the slot filed off. The small one on the right has a small knob of Whitetail antler (front and back) pinned on with another of the knurled brass bolts. Hope this helps (anyone, in any way - LOL). I still need to get my buffing wheels set up so i can buff out the brass parts, etc. - but you get the idea(s)

Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC