Author Topic: Tiller help  (Read 3741 times)

grantmac

Tiller help
« on: June 25, 2008, 12:54:16 am »
Hello everyone.

I'm doing a build along (it's under "Warbow-along") and I could use your expert eyes for my tiller.
      Thanks,
             Grant

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Re: Tiller help
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 01:27:46 am »
Hey Gran! You call? What can I do for ya?

Tiller
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

grantmac

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 02:58:01 am »
You and anyone else who wants to comment can check-out the latest pics in my buildalong. I'm treading on some strange ground so I want as much help as possible.
      Cheers,
            Grant

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 10:56:21 pm »
Grant, for rounding the belly make a template/scraper. You do this by cutting it out of a blank from an old saw blade. Use a shot glass or something simmilar to draw the shape on the template and then cut it out. Then sharpen it the way you do a regular scraper.

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

radius

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 01:19:52 am »
Tiller, that's a great idea...i'll do that too

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 01:24:06 am »
Yeah! Really helps to keep things uniform while tillering the bow. Also, when tillering only tiller the handle area for the last couple inches of draw. You want it just to barely bend through the handle. Another thing is keep the last 6 to 10" stiff while you shoot it in for a while and then come back and make it bend there  at the last part of the draw. Makes all the wood in the bow work and it may improve cast above what it was. But be careful when taking off wood at the tips. Too much and it could go boom or take a lot of set. Very sensitive!  :o

grantmac

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 04:04:52 am »
Excellent advice D.Tiller,

I really need to find and old handsaw to make into scrapers, so far I've just been using a spokeshave and 50 grit sandpaper. I think I will do a bit of width tillering in the mid-limb (as there is no taper until the tips). I'm not sure if I want to shoot for a real compass tiller or a bit more eliptical, I do know that I want to keep the handle fairly rigid. Also this piece ended-up a bit shorter than I had planned at 75" so I hope it will take a full 32" draw, set will be closely watched.
       Cheers,
                  Grant

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 12:14:15 am »
I would go with a bend in the handle bow even thought its shorter. Gets that little extra umph to it!

grantmac

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 03:53:57 am »
After a few trials and tribulations I got it back to 28" today, drawing about 72#. I removed quite a lot off the tips to get them working better and I think I've got the tiller shape I want.
Unfortunately my boyers knot decided to cut off the self-knock at that point. So I then used a bowline knot which worked for a bit until it jumped-out of the new knock and somewhat unbraided itself. I decided to make a completely new string and made it 1" too short. I decided to leave the bow alone for the rest of the day.
So far it's taken just about 1/2" of follow, I think I'll make my goal of 80#@32" without too much fuss. Update on the warbow thread tomorrow with pictures, maybe even a full-draw.
      cheers,
             Grant

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 04:35:31 pm »
Grant, dont take any more wood from the tips! Make them stiff while you tiller or you will end up snapping them off or they will take set. Narrow and thin the tips after its tillered. That gives you wood to play with out there at the end for shaping and what not. That would be for the last 6 - 10 inches or so. Also, make sure you dig those nocks in and round off the edges a bit after they are cut. Abraisian on a sharp edge will tear those strings apart!

David T

grantmac

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 05:18:36 pm »
I'm really happy with how it's bending now. Enough to shoot it at my 28" draw length several times, it's about 75# there. Here are some pics for your input.
      Cheers,
             Grant

Top limb on the right:

« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 06:00:57 pm by grantmac »