Author Topic: numb finger tip??  (Read 11147 times)

Offline paulc

numb finger tip??
« on: September 09, 2008, 11:32:35 am »
Anyone ever have trouble with numbness developing in their draw hand?  Actually it is just the middle finger, right in the last joint before the tip.  It has been giving me trouble for a while but not really affecting shooting but I was out of town this weekend and did not shoot for 4 days straight.  Went shooting last night and could not draw like I normally do.  The last portion of the finger is tingly and feels sorta like I have hit it with a hammer; swollen but without the pain.  Normally I sink the string deep into the last joint of all three fingers but last night I had to set the string into the joint then back my middle finger out a bit so the string was on the meat of the finger tip instead of in the joint...deer season opens Sat morning!  Any ideas? 

This is not affecting my whole hand or arm.  It is strictly limited to the last joint of my middle finger on my draw hand.  I draw left handed...TIA

Offline Hickoryswitch

Re: numb finger tip??
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 12:25:06 pm »
Mine did the same thing a couple months ago but sometimes mine would hurt so bad I could'nt hardly shoot. I ended up putting an extra layer of leather on that finger and it stopped. My finger hasn't bothered me since. 

Wayne
Wayne Silverthorn

Papa Matt

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 12:33:17 pm »
This has happened to me before. Between now and Saturday when you practice, use a shooter's glove or something. It sounds like you are putting strain on your finger that it's having trouble keeping up with. It wouldn't hurt to rest it a day, and then when you start shooting again, use the glove.

~~Papa Matt

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 05:28:12 pm »
I used to shoot with a tab. I lost a couple so I decided I was manly so I started shooting bare hand.  After a couple of weeks my finger tips started feeling numb.  I mentioned it to a doctor friend and he said I could be doing nerve damage. I decided nerve damage wasn't that manly and started shooting a glove.  I think for those of us who use a deep hook it is a bad idea.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline paulc

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 06:04:42 pm »
I have been using a glove but it sounds like maybe I need to add another layer...good to know I am not the only one with a numb finger tip.  thanks all

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 09:09:00 pm »
  ummm? maybe a lefthanded thing. ::)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline paulc

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 09:37:42 am »
so what exactly is a tab?  what does it look like, how do you use it?  TIA

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 09:45:37 am »
Mine has a hole in the center the size of my middle finger,you slip it over your middle finger
and the leather lays flat out and covers the first 3 fingers.I don't have a picture. Mine
is also split between the index and middle finger.I shoot index finger over the nock and 2 
under. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good