Author Topic: Red oak take down  (Read 3232 times)

whitewoodshunter

Red oak take down
« on: September 13, 2008, 10:52:12 pm »
I have a set of " Billets" left over from a red oak board I  cut a bow out of. The " billets" are about 30 inches long, 1 inch thick, and taper from 1.5 to 3/8 wide. How what should the thickness taper be to get a 45-50 lbs bow if the " billets" will even make a bow? I thought of backing with linen. And is metal pipe ok to join the two pieces?

Offline Dano

Re: Red oak take down
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 12:03:52 am »
Man, I know a bunch of guys that have been building bows for less than 12 years like you said you have, and I have never heard such novice questions out of them. It's ok to be new at this, but you can't be honest, your not going to get much help. I may be wrong, but first impressions have gotten me through most of my life.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 02:00:22 pm »
Never tried a take-down.      I thought the point of this forum was to ask questions and get advice.  I know bowyers that have been building bows for longer than 12 years and still don't know it all. This is a forum, so no one should have the right to question another on how long they have been doing it!!!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 02:17:37 pm »
                                                                   Read Back Posts
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 02:26:05 pm »
Do a search....or read Paul Comstocks "the bent stick" lots of good taper information in there.  I couldnt answer your question as I have only been making wood bows for a couple years.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 04:20:52 pm »
  Is there supposed to be a picture in that big gap? Like said, the Bowyers Bible has a lot of info on tapers. I don't have that many years experience with board bows.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 08:37:52 pm »
Sorry no picture. don't know what happened. I don't have that much experience with board bows or take-downs.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 05:29:40 am »
Drawlength?  READ alot.  You only have 60" of wood and you will loose 4 - 6" in the pipe.  Linen will work for a backing.  Pipe works, but I use fiberglass and epoxy.  It will need to be rigid through the handle, not much bend.  You can taper it down to 5/16", but I would go with 3/8" and thin the tips down in the final tiller stage.