Author Topic: how i make simple primitive arrows from shoots....  (Read 8908 times)

Offline michbowguy

Re: how i make simple primitive arrows from shoots....
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2008, 10:17:58 pm »
thanks all.

deffinatly not a new concept.
i use this way for my cane shafts as well, but i do not "p;ug" the cane....i just wrap and wedge,then i cut down the inside round pith edges that may cause wear on my bow string.

as far as the point end i either "pound" the end lightly to get may splinters, dip it into pitch glue and form it around my flint head..then wrap well with sinew,then apply thin pine resin over the wraping to waterproof it.
jamie

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: how i make simple primitive arrows from shoots....
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2008, 10:30:57 pm »
I've never tried the smashed cane end but I have read about it. I think I'll give it a try. 
   Jamie, do you make pitch varnish to seal sinew wraps. It is easy and works very well. I just dilute pitch in denatured alcohol(sippin' whiskey works too  ;) ) and strain to remove impurities and keep it in a sealed jar. I like to work with hard pitch(rather than oozing) because the varnish dries hard. I use it to seal arrows and waterproof all sinew wraps.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC