Author Topic: Is this Bow Kit any good? And whats the best Combo Laminate?  (Read 9690 times)

vCo2v

Is this Bow Kit any good? And whats the best Combo Laminate?
« on: November 13, 2008, 02:04:48 pm »
I posted a similar post in the Warbow section but I think this is more appropriate

For the price is this a good kit to start off with?

http://216.119.68.89/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_10&products_id=96&zenid=af07319b8eb60ded4ddd8a2aa6343d58

The idea of gluing and shaping my first bow without any previous woodbows to reference kind of scares me. This kit just needs to be tillered.

And..

Which of the 3 is the better Laminate combo

Boo/Ipe bi laminate
Boo/Ipe/Hickory tri laminate
Boo/Ipe/Hickory/Ipe quad Laminate

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Is this Bow Kit any good? And whats the best Combo Laminate?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 02:10:53 pm »
I think the boo backed ipe would be the best to start with of the 3. I also think that an ELB style bow is more difficult to learn on because it narrow profile. It is more apt to sideways twists than a flat bow would be. JMO      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 02:16:31 pm »
Hmm my anti virus software detects a threat when I click on your link ???
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

vCo2v

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 02:20:24 pm »
thats odd its the Boo/Ipe Floor tillered kit at 139.00 from rudderbowsarchery.com

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 03:13:10 pm »
I am a fan of a hickory backed Ipe with another thin Ipe lamination ( as in no thicker than 1/4") glue on for a handle piece.

I think the ELB is the easiest to learn on...IMHO.....it is narrow....and for me at least......I find it quicker and easier.....but it can twist sideways for sure!
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 03:56:46 pm »
just nmake sure the centerof the limbs are thick ansd side are equal when scraping them down and youshould be good then
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline ZanderPommo

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 06:14:48 pm »
mine too Dana

Zander

vCo2v

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 06:18:42 pm »

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 06:41:15 pm »
yup good kit, you get everything you need.

that was actually one of my first bows,that exact same kit. i didnt make it a bendy handle because i was a complete rookie and didnt know if i would like a bendy handle
i believe traditionally elb's are supposed to bend a little in the handle.
some time this winter i might retiller it to do that.

however it does make a great shoong fast bow,if you take your time on it.

i will try and post a pic of what mine looks like so you can get the idea of what it will be like.

gotta say that i really like that combo. i have made three bows from that combo,plan on more when i can afford to buy the lumber.

pic taken last winterwhen i was making it
well thats the best pic i have of it,thought i had one of it in its completed form,but i was wrong,you get the idea though

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 06:45:17 pm »
i think the "kits" are a great way to start.  they are expensive though, so a mistake can be devastating if you break a 130 dollar peice of wood instead of spent 50 and did the glue up yourself.  on the other hand, the experience you get from tillering a correctly shapped profile will be of great use to you later.  I did my first bow from scratch and it was daunting, but it was cheap and gave me good experience too.  as long as you take your time gluing and pay attention it will work out just fine either way.  the real "magic" for me is in final tillering anyway, there is no "just final tillering" in this world......besides wood selection that is where all the real finess work is IMO
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

vCo2v

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 06:52:14 pm »
Wow that looks great, Good picture too

Sailordad with that kit, does the instructions do a good job of explaining how to work with everything? How many pounds were the ones you made? Is 60# Feasible for this kit?

Because I know that the rule of thumb is you do 10 pounds under your compound bow

I can draw a compound bow at 70#

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 07:57:00 pm »
last time i had it on the scale it was 60lbs ish at 29",my memory aint the greatest,havent shot it in a while. 60 lbs aint squat for that wood combo
 well  now i guess i will have to shoot it this weekend and see what its doing,its just been collecting dust for that last few months.

i dont quit remeber what instructions came with it, i think it was a small pamphlet, but it did a decent enough job explaining. however everyone here will
help do a much better job as long as you can post pics as you go along building it  ;D ;)

the scraper will probably get dull,mine did when i worked it on ipe. not so much with hickory.
ist a nice little scraper,easy to sharpen and gives nice control too.i have two of them never have a dull one,plus i have other things i like to scrape with.

dont know about the 10lb rule of thumb thing,my wheelie bow is set at 50lbs, elb is 60lbs,my reflex deflex boo/hick combo is about 50ish ithink.
i aint so young anymore and have had a couple of shoulder surgeries,so i tend to keep them at 50ish.

this aint like pulling a wheelie bow either,with let off and such. you dont hold them for long at draw etc.
make sure you get your trad draw length measured so you know what to tiller the bow to.

ggod luck

peace,
                                                                       tim

vCo2v

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 08:45:11 pm »
Is there any difference in performance between the bi laminate tri and quad laminates that i asked about? Or is it hardly noticeable

Boo/Ipe bi laminate
Boo/Ipe/Hickory tri laminate
Boo/Ipe/Hickory/Ipe quad Laminate

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 09:29:00 pm »
Hmm my anti virus software detects a threat when I click on your link ???
It is rudderbows and my software says it is blocking spyware from their sight. Yet another reason not to go there.  ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah