Author Topic: feral hogs with primitive gear?  (Read 25160 times)

Offline paulc

feral hogs with primitive gear?
« on: December 05, 2008, 10:31:24 am »
How many of you guys have tried taking a feral hog with your primitive gear?  I hunt Fort Stewart here in GA which has a ton of hogs on it.  I got my first with rifle a week ago but would like to try for one with my osage bow.  Any suggestions or lessons learned that apply to chasing hogs with stick bows?  Anyone carry a pistol as backup? thanks, P

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
Re: feral hogs with primitive gear?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 10:43:42 am »
I taken a few.. I will tell you that you can stalk up on them just keep the wind in your favor. A sow with little ones will be just about as mean as they come!! A large caliber pistol back up would not be a bad Idea..But it is not a must..I killed hundreds of hogs with a .22 rifle. And have seen a couple that I would not even consider!!! sticking a arrow in unless I was in a tree..lol..
 Hunting hogs with a bow is just about the most fun I have ever had hunting..

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 12:14:58 pm »
i killed one with a stone point back in august.  he ran 20 yards with a heart shot.  the best tip i can give is stick'em low, just over the elbow.  any shot behind the front leg is usually a lost hog as that is where the gut starts.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 05:10:11 pm »
there is always a lot of debate about hogs and bows, and while i have only scored with shotgun, i have hunted them with bows,a nd shot dead hogs with a bow just to see what happened.  my first shot at 15 yards hit the infamous sheild and penetrated about an inch.  my second shot hit the guts and zipped straight through it.  this was all with a 60# recurve and sharp two blade broadhead and a 210 pound pig.  best advice i could give form that is take a quartering away shot if you can, if not shoot the smallest pig in the group, they taste better and are easier to penetrate.  in the end though, yeah guys kill pigs with stick and string all the time.  low and forward is good advice.  i have seen a lot of pigs get away with a dead center height "deer" shot.
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 05:46:16 pm »
Talk to Mullet and a few of the others. Eddie goes after Florida hogs all the time. Think there are a few guys in Georgia too.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 08:07:02 pm »
 Yep, they are a lot of fun to hunt with a bow or a Jeep. Stick them where Chris said, it's not the same as a deer. And if you want one to eat, don't shoot the one with the big nipple in the middle of the belly. Brian Melton is coming down from Washington in Feb. and we are going to hunt them for a week. I've never carried a back-up pistol and when Chris and I were hunting them in Ga. the first time we were crawling and shooting most of them from 10 yards. My last one was a head shot at about 10'.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 08:30:32 pm »
Am I right when I say the heart is low and forward on hogs and the lungs are tiny compared to other animals?
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 11:48:47 pm »
 Yes. that's why a lot of hogs are lost. Head shots are the way to go. ;D ::) ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 11:49:53 pm »
Yes, Eddie we know. Head shots with your range rover at 60 mph!  ;D

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 01:38:56 am »
this pic is pretty close with the vitals.  i think the heart may be located a couple inches back over the elbow.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 05:10:51 pm »
Look at the size of that brain! Man thats as big as walnut. Tiny!!! No wonder they get pissed!!!!!

Offline Kegan

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 06:53:03 pm »
What sort of power is necessary (from a bow) for a head shot on a hog?

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2008, 07:46:02 pm »
sledge hammer!!!

Offline Kegan

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2008, 09:47:05 pm »
sledge hammer!!!

How does that translate into bow-pounds ;D?

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 09:52:05 pm »
Tie hammer to arrow and shoot!!!!! ;D