Author Topic: Cutting/slabbing coral  (Read 8497 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Cutting/slabbing coral
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 11:24:45 pm »
Paul, cutting and slabbing is what us guys that don't really know how to knapp do. You are a great knapper so why mess.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 11:45:53 pm »
I've used one "sawed" preform.  Thinest blade I've made, but that was because it was cut thin.   :-[  It was kind of hard getting it started because all the edges were right angles.  I'll try and post pictures soon. 

Nice points Dick. 

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline DanaM

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2008, 07:00:24 am »
Nice points Dick and some pretty rock, made 3 obsidian preforms yesterday out of some of Justins rock I grabbed from Pappy's
I have to say I waste a lot of rock would love to be able to slab some. Dick thanks I would love to try some coral and I'm sure I can find something to gift you as well ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

DBernier

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2008, 09:42:02 am »
Well guys I also have an 8" wet ceramic saw. I think I will try and cut some coral today, or at least see what happens. Eddie, do you think oil or water is better?

Dick

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2008, 11:01:42 am »
For hard rock oil is supposed to be better.  Oil also keeps it from building up deposits on the diamond edge.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2008, 01:16:16 pm »
  Dick, you need oil. I cut my rock with a 10" wet saw and it still won't cut Coral or hard jasper that Brian Melton sends me.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jcinpc

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2009, 02:46:33 am »
the key to cutting coral is the blade thinkness (kerf) and your blade speed.depending on your blade you would have to change pulleys. I buy my blades from Daniel Lopacki  http://lopacki.com/tips/  I use only water and dish soap because the oil will soak into the coral when I cook it.You cant cook a head of coral you will have to spall down to what you want to cook.

brian melton

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2009, 11:27:09 pm »

You ever try acetone soaking before you cook to remove the oils????

Offline jcinpc

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2009, 12:41:01 am »
yeah I tried it on some but it was too much work and didnt get all the oil out. Water and soap works fine with my saws and I have friends who use the same.