Author Topic: first foreshaft arrow  (Read 17331 times)

Offline son of massey

Re: first foreshaft arrow
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 01:17:31 pm »
  im not sure i got the fletching style description down-a fletch along, diagram, or close ups might help.   it is three whole feathers just wrapped at the front and back but free through the middle?   that seems like it would be almost flimsy. you dont have problems with the fletches coming loose?   SOM

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 03:17:38 pm »
SOM, The feathers are held securely by the wraps and in most cases the are permanent.  ::)  I'll try to get some pics of the process for you.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2008, 05:10:19 pm »
Here you go, SOM I hope these help.
 I first thin the quill if needed, then I trim the tip of the feather so it is easy to deal with. Next I bind the feathers, one at a time and facing up but pointing towards the nock end. After all three are wrapped this way I fold the feathers so they are pointing the correct direction and bind them just below the nock. This will hold them securely to the shaft at the nock end.  Next I bind the forward end, one at a time, with a little helical added and this type of fletching is complete. You will have to neaten them up as you want.  Here are a few pics...

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline son of massey

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2008, 05:19:10 pm »
  thanks, that is neat looking and i see now why it is such a good use of second string feathers.   i have tried that nock end fold over trick, i have just never felt great about fletching that was wound through the entire length of the feather, somehow my mind always makes me feel like that isnt sucha  secure way to go.   i am glad to see you have had success with this.   it does seem like a quick and reasonably simple way to go too, thanks again. SOM

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2008, 05:25:51 pm »
Pat, folding the feathers forward from the nock end is the way I like to do mine too.....and I don't like to glue down the middle of the feather.  It works good. :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2008, 05:33:00 pm »
I wonder if I can use seagull feathers for this. They tend to be all over the beaches around where I am.

Pat, I'm doing the same thing with my rosewood shafts with the foreshaft but also doing it with the nocks too. Seems to make the whole shaft heavier and fly better. Penetration on my hay bales exceeds my port orford shafts by a ton. Now I'm thinking when I go hunting I can bring 6 to 12 arrows in my kit and a bunch of stone points on fore shafts ready to go. If I break a point I just put another in the arrow and away I go. If I hit an animal, Pigs which I want to hunt, the foreshaft pops out and the arrow is saved from being broken by a running hog or deer. I like it!!!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2008, 05:49:03 pm »
Patrick, yours is a bit neater than mine and I bind before and after folding the feather. I guess it really doesn't matter.
  David, Any feathers will work. There are lots of sea bird feathers along the NW coast. They should work fine if there is no restriction against using them. 
  SOM, they work well this way and are quite secure. Patrick's method is a bit neater than mine but you get the idea.          Pat

Dustybaer

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 04:52:41 am »
pat, great looking arrow and fascinating fletching method.  always meant to try it, never got to it.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 06:23:34 am »
Pat-
Thanks for posting the pics of fletching with that style.  I have a bunch of smallish goose wing feathers.  It looks like that syle will work great for them.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2008, 10:59:14 am »
Rick, here are a few pics of an arrow James Parker(robustus) gave me with small goose feathers tied on like these others.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dustybaer

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2008, 01:02:41 pm »
wow, that's a nice one too.  are the goose feathers trimmed or is that the natural shape?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2008, 01:43:19 pm »
Marius, that is the natural shape. A little thinning of the quill is all.    Pat

Dustybaer

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2008, 02:42:00 pm »
thanks for sharing pat, this thread is very inspiring.

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2008, 02:45:43 pm »
Cool arrow Pat!  I put some cane shafts on my Christmas list for the wife.  If I get them, I hope I can turn some out as nice as that! :)
south central VA

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2008, 11:51:01 am »
i'm not sure what species of cane that is.  bernie gave them to me.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy