Author Topic: please help me out here with my linen thread size.  (Read 19076 times)

youngbowyer

please help me out here with my linen thread size.
« on: December 11, 2008, 06:31:33 pm »
Hey as you all know I am ordering somax thread and this other 4 ply linen thread in this link http://www.hollanders.com/supplies/ViewProduct.aspx?ProductID=a1cd6935-cd77-4f0b-8f50-8ac15a2c7051&CategoryID=d2cf9ad1-665d-47b6-a272-75ad11c99d7a i want to know if this is thin enough or if it is way too thick because it is 4 ply. Sry for this other question on linen thread!!! :-[

Nick

Re: please help me out here with my linen thread size.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 08:42:19 pm »
I dunno mate looks a little on the thick side.

youngbowyer

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 09:16:57 pm »
anybody else?

youngbowyer

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 10:06:01 pm »
never mind this anymore.

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 11:17:24 pm »
Looks kinda heavy. I use very fine silk.

youngbowyer

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 09:01:33 am »
o dont need help anymore i found some very nive thread it is called lineco linen binding thread natural color and very thin.

Nick

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 09:31:42 am »
Sounds good. Mind giving me the link ;D ?

Offline OlaP

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 05:02:44 pm »
Hi all,
The thickness of an Irish linen thread is not dependent on the numbers of ply. It is the other number, in your example from Hollander's: 18, that is deciding the thickness. I once asked the Linen museum in Lisburn about these numbers relation to the thickness of a linen thread and got this answer:

"Let us take the example of Barbours 12/3.
3 is the 3 ply (a ply is a single thread)
12 is the thickness (lea) and 200 is a finer one. The numbers are related to the weight in lbs (pounds) of a fixed length. This has been a standard form of measure for linen yarn in Ireland (and Scotland) since the 18th century.

In order to raise the quality of production by standardisation of hand spun yarn to a specific measure, the yarn was reeled on a wheel to a specific number of turns. A full reel of 120 turns was 300 yards and was 1 lea. A common quality or weight was a 12 lea which was equal to 1 hank to the lb. (pound). This meant that 12 x 300 yards weighed 1 lb. A higher number multiplied by 300 yards and still equal to 1 lb means a much finer yarn which would weave into a much finer fabric.
A 200 lea thickness weighing 1 lb would thus be a much finer thread. These measures have continued even in machine production times."

So the higher thickness number, the finer thread.

I have tried several types of linen thread on my fletchings;
* 40/3 and finer looks nice and will not make spaces between the barbs of the feather, but on the other hand it won't hold more than 30 shots before it breaks. In these tests I only had bees wax on the thread, so I suppose that it will hold longer if you put on a coat of varnish or glue.
*12/2 and thicker thread will definitely look a bit heavy. They will last, and they will give you the occasional "burn"...
*18/3, is what I used on my last arrows, see "How do I fletch a Soar's battle shaft". This is something in between, and a good substitute if you, as I, have not found a good silk thread yet.

youngbowyer

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 05:12:29 pm »
thankyou very much this helped me a lot! THough on that site it just tells me that it is 4 ply waxed irish linen thread so... I am gonna stick with the linrco linen binding thread.

Offline OlaP

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 06:17:46 pm »
Hi again,
the picture shows that it is a "18" thickness thread. Good luck anyway!

youngbowyer

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 09:11:38 pm »
are you talking about the lineco or the thread from hollanders. Is that thread from hollanders any good then. Olap try to check up linenco linen binding thread. I think it is perfect for arrows what about you?

Offline OlaP

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 04:45:35 am »
I have only looked at the Hollander's thread so far.

youngbowyer

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008, 08:59:16 am »
isnt 18 thickness good because i saw that you used 18 thickness on your arrows.

Offline OlaP

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2008, 11:41:16 am »
It will do the job OK.

youngbowyer

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2008, 02:07:24 pm »
im gonna buy the lineco because i know that it is thin because it is used for hand sewing.