Author Topic: Heat for Straightenning  (Read 3210 times)

Offline Kegan

Heat for Straightenning
« on: December 11, 2008, 07:03:18 pm »
Is using heat when you are making the shaft up before hand to straighten them a better long-term plan than just using hand pressure? Seems like it would help "train" the wood to stay straight...-er.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Heat for Straightenning
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 07:10:05 pm »
I think it helps to remove the crooks without stressing the wood and it also helps keep them straight by tempering the wood.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 10:33:48 pm »
  I think it would also keep you from breaking them ,because you really can't feel the breaking point untill it's too late.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 07:58:05 pm »
  I think it would also keep you from breaking them ,because you really can't feel the breaking point untill it's too late.

Isn't that the truth. I hadn't bothered with heat on my previous batch, and was trying to bend out the kink right by the feathers, where the tapering started. *SNAP* That wasn't much fun :-[.

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 11:13:03 am »
YES! Heat makes the shafts bend easily and keep their bend (which in this case is a good thing ;)). Especially bamboo. :)
Speaking of tempering the wood, Have you tried putting grooves in your arrows? If done properly, it keeps arrows remarkably straight.
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 11:14:23 am »
YES! Heat makes the shafts bend easily and keep their bend (which in this case is a good thing ;)). Especially bamboo. :)
Speaking of tempering the wood, Have you tried putting grooves in your arrows? If done properly, it keeps arrows remarkably straight.
     Sean

I tried grooving before, but my tool was jsut terrible. My arrows are ugly enough as they are ;D!